Quick impedence question....

asi9

Hey, we just got a mixer-amp we want to try rehearsing with right now, and a PA enclosure. The output speaker outputs from the mixer-amp say '4 ohms minimum load' but the pa speaker has to inputs that both say 8 ohms... am I gonna blow something if I hook it up? Do I need an adapter or something?

I.E. does 4 to 8 = bad?

Hey thanks. But another question.... where's a really good place to read up on impedence that explains it really well in plain english, possibly using analogies, examples, etc? I've read 'basics' on impedence a bunch of times, but I can never remember all the rules because I still haven't quite "gotten it" (feel like I'm back in Precal...)
I WANNA LEARN THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!! And you know what they say, "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

We owe you for making some great music posted in the clinic.

When you have an amp feeding some speakers, the amp will suffer only if the impedance is less than the rating for the amp. If it's the other way around the amp won't care, but the SPL will be less than if the amp were connected to speakers at the rated impedance.

That's all folks!

Thanks!

That reminded me that we finished our full demo and so I posted another song in the mp3 clinic.

BTW, we had no trouble hooking that amp up to that enclosure yesterday. Nice little mixer amp (for a CRATE of all things)

Back