Quick FMR RNC question

Decay

If I were to buy an FMR Really Nice Compressor, would there ensue a problem when connecting the line out from my Electro Harmonix 12ay pre into the RNC?
The reason I'm asking is that the EHX pre outputs a balanced signal and the RNC has unbalanced in/outs.

Thanks

you need a balanced to unbalanced coverter available at many fine Sam Ash stores and Radio Shacks :)...impedance matching is very imprtant!

Ray

I may sound like a twit here, but you can just Plug a regular TS lead in, so as the inverted signal (R) just goes to ground. if its an XLR just connect Pin 3 (-Phase) to pin 1 (Ground).

From my understanding a balanced signal has a two "live" signals one the same as an unbalanced "hot" signal (+) and the other an exact inversion of the "hot"(-) signal. (third is ground). In theory if you were to add the + to the - signal you would hear nothing, as the signals will cancel eachother out. so what happens when you flip the - before you combine the signals? well, any noise that is picked up in the cable also becomes inverted making it the opposite of inverse of the noise that is on the + signal, therefore cancelling the noise.

I cant see any impedience matching issues here. converting from unbalanced to balanced is a whole nutha bucket of worms. :D

Decay said:
If I were to buy an FMR Really Nice Compressor, would there ensue a problem when connecting the line out from my Electro Harmonix 12ay pre into the RNC?
The reason I'm asking is that the EHX pre outputs a balanced signal and the RNC has unbalanced in/outs.

Thanks

Here you go, straight from FMR Audio:
http://fmraudio.com/FAQ.htm#question8

-mr moon

Back