Quick And Easy Solutions

gummblefish

Twitchy Wanker
Ok, This might be an interesting thread. While acoustic treatment in our studios is ultimately obtainable and relatively affordable we are not always in these environments for recording and sometimes mixing. In the past (and no doubt future) i and maybe all of us will be faced with a recording project outside of our laboratories. Sometimes, if not all times the sound environment is lacking in our taste and is certainly beyond our expenses for the job at hand. How do YOU deal with these scenarios?
I have done many recordings for work and for friends where i am faced with less than ideal rooms. People look at me kind of funny when i move things around to effect the sound, or drag a matress about a living room floor. Sometimes i stare wildly like im chasing a fly or maybe listening to a boy trapped down a well in my mind (im not autistic).
Im interested in seeing what other people do to create make shift mixing areas, echo chambers, Bass traps, reflectors...etc.

One i kind of like is Taking boom mic stands, extend to desired height, make boom part in "T" shape then hang think draps down stand. Could use clothes pegs or rope to secure curtains or blankets. Make a few of them and you got very cheap gobos, maybe a vox booth on the sly. Now obviously these aint gonna be as effective as say, a contruction made from 703 and fiberglass. However these only take a few minutes to set up and will help control reflections.

When I was doing film sound we would have a bunch of packing blankets and throw those everywhere to help deaden the room. Since we were only recording voice it worked pretty well.

I do the T mic stand thing too but I tape on some framed 703 panels. They work well for a quickie vocal booth.

Yeah, I've shoved furniture between amps, set a couch in front of drums, pissed off guitarists by turning their amps a different direction, piled pillows all over the place, hung quilts and blankets from anything which will support their weight, opened/closed doors, made singers stand in closets, made girlfriends go outside, threatened to shoot children (even came cloce a couple of times,) need I go on? Now I remember why I prefer to record at home in my humble little studio.

I have four moving blankets for mobile isolation. Other than that, headphones and dead reckoning.

Back