Quick 703 absorber and health question

pearldrum944

I picked up my 703 panels, wood, L-brackets, etc today and am ready to build some absorbers (some to be placed across corners for bass freqs). Some people recommend covering them in plastic (like garbage bags) under the fabric to keep fiberglass particles from escaping. Anyone have any suggestions on whether or not this is needed? I'm also concerned because my control room is also my bedroom, one of the corner absorbers is in a corner that my bed sits in (ie: will be over my bed partially)

not plastic...plastic will reflect many of the frequencies you want to absorb. You'll want to wrap the panels for sure though. Find a thin enough fabric to allow air to pass through it, but thick enough to keep the fibers from floating around the room. A lot of people use burlap.

btw, use gloves

Everything I could find at that time indicated that as long as you're not agitating them, the fiberglass should not shed....

Funny how about the time that asbestos became such a big deal, they also decided that fiberglass also posed a similar threat.
I believe that it is not thought to be a health threat any longer....

At least in the state of Illinois. :D

Just make sure that you start every recording session by doing a Rocky Balboa imitation (...or Bruce Lee if you prefer....) on your panels.

I picked up my 703 panels, wood, L-brackets, etc today and am ready to build some absorbers (some to be placed across corners for bass freqs). Some people recommend covering them in plastic (like garbage bags) under the fabric to keep fiberglass particles from escaping. Anyone have any suggestions on whether or not this is needed? I'm also concerned because my control room is also my bedroom, one of the corner absorbers is in a corner that my bed sits in (ie: will be over my bed partially)

Hey down there in Murfreesboro...
You don't have any contact with the Protomen, do you? I saw them when they came up through Boston about a year ago.

Sorry, I don't have any answers to your question.

-MD

Hey down there in Murfreesboro...
You don't have any contact with the Protomen, do you? I saw them when they came up through Boston about a year ago.

Sorry, I don't have any answers to your question.

-MD

Hmmm... no, I've never heard of them. There are literally thousands of bands in Nashville though. I did listen to their myspace, pretty interesting.

In other news, I've got my 3 broadband absorbers done for the first reflection points. The panels for the sidewalls are sitting against the wall now and have already made a HUGE difference in sound. The stereo-imaging is much more clear now. I can't wait to finish up my bass traps.

BTW~ I had a HUGE plastic bag over my panels formerly (the kind of plastic bag you put over pallets ~then heatshrink) , and I don't recommend it if it's not absolutely necessary.

That's pretty cool, I didn't recognize any of the names so I guess they were out of the program before I entered.

Thanks for the experienced advice cellardweller.

Hopefully I can get my basstraps finished up early this week.

Back