Questions regarding Alesis DM5 and rack setup...

Stone431

1) For the Alesis DM5, do I need a midi-keyboard to create the music? And if so, how much do they cost? Can I hook it up to my computer and use any midi sequencer I want to use the DM5 also?

2) For my rack setup that will be building soon, will I need some kind of rack-mounted power strip, or can I use a normal power strip, like the kind on the floor?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Ganiac from Rocktron, and if it is worth buying? (in the way of metal-type distortion)

Thanks to anyone who can answer any/all of these questions!

Check the back of your regular power strip. It should have a set of holes made for mounting to a vertical surface. Any wiring you can keep off of the floor will help reduce clutter.

You do not need a midi keyboard to use the DM5. To really use it for what it's worth I suggest you build a e-drum set. You can build the whole thing in a few hours and, including the trigger sensors, it'll only cost about a hundred bucks.

The DM5 can be triggered by any sort of midi signal, you can hook it up to your computer, bring up a dorky midi song in any sequencer program and then "route" the drum track to the DM5.
The DM5 can be triggered, using the trigger inputs, by any audio signal. You can plug an electrivc guitar, or bass in to the back, you can plug a mic in to the back.

You can buy a midi keyboard for about $100, to save money you can buy ones that have no abilities except to trigger external modules, like your DM5 (i.e. no bells and whistles). Just make sure the keys are velocity sensitive. I made a website about the e-drum kit I made. I am using it with my Alesis D4, and it is working great! check it out, it may help you http://homepages.go.com/~drumcage

Ld :p

Back