Questions regarding a metal (genre) "bass drop".

Abraxas

Hello, all. I'm getting ready to record myself some metal and I was curious how most producers get that full sound with such low notes. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbZJ-IgAEg Now, before you patronize me I don't actually listen to this type of metal mainly due to the vocals but the music is still pretty good, in my opinion. What I am more interested in is the sound they get at 0:15 when it first breaks in. You can also hear this at 3:04 without the vocal effect over top of it. Some people have said they are playing in A standard which I find hard to believe but most seem to agree they are playing in E standard or Drop D. Which leads me to believe it's just the bass cranked up that gives it such a low tone. I just feel like if I were to try and record something that low it would sound like literal ass and be too muddy of a mix. I'm really only used to recording poppy, acoustic stuff where I usually end up shelfing a lot of the bass off. But this has such a really low tone and it still has that wall of sound.. sound.

Does anyone know the best way to achieve this type of effect? I'm aware it's not going to be just a magic button that is one and done but any tips would be more than welcome. I've also heard that sometimes producers will add in a sine wave in sub bass frequencies to follow what the bass player is playing just to give it more bottom end.

Thanks!

It really sounds to me like there is a keyboard part playing the root note really low. It isn't the bass guitar or the guitars making that.

Back