Question's on making my own beats

marc32123

Basically, I have been using Mixcraft 7 for over two years now, and am kind of running out of good drum loops to use for my songs, and I want to learn how to make my own. I am wondering if someone in the know can hit me up with a few answers to what I am wondering, so I have references for my initial research, which will revolve around the following questions...

First off, I want to make beats mainly for cool rap/soul style electronic music. I don't know much about "drums" in general, and I have only played on a real kit a few times, so I don't really know anything hardly about the right patterns to use to get a good beat going. Basically I learned the standard rock drum beat and that is it. I know it's different with a DAW and programming beats with software, but still there are similarities like kick on downbeat and snare on up, that I know next to nothing about. Does anyone have any good idea's or recommendations that could lead me in the right direction in regards to all this?

Next question is basically what are the different methods to making beats like this? I already know basically that there are quite a few, starting from as simple as using your mouse and editing notes on the piano roll in my DAW, to buying a drum machine. I also know that they use step sequencers in DAW's, and that there are such things as EZ drummer. Does anyone have any good idea's or recommendations to help me figure out all the ways that beats are made?

Basically, I want to learn and discover how to make really cool beats like the ones I am hearing in these drum loops in my DAW, and I want to learn as much as I can in the least amount of time as possible.

Okay, first, most rap is on the grid (meaning it is PERFECTLY timed), and a lot of it is 808 or equivalent (old school synth drum stuff).
As far as how to make it: Take a look at them. Get a program (mixcraft should let you) that will allow you to look at the midi patterns.
Creating them can be done in a number of ways. Get a keyboard and assign different sound to the keys and play around with it. You can overdub, so playing just the bass sound note, then adding the snare sound, etc. works
You can also get a nice set of pads (like the AKAI MPD18)...assign each sound to the pads and ^^^^
Start by listening to a cool groove you like and trying to copy it. Then play around until it's YOURS.

Now, bear in mind that those cool beats that you hear are more than just the drum sounds. There will also be horns and or strings and or other percussive sounds all nicely overdubbed into that beat. Listen closely and identify what sounds cool to you, and what doesn't. Then you'll have some ideas on where to go.

Hope that helps some.

Back