Questions - HD recorders, CD-Rs and audio resolution.....

Shazukura

HD recorders, CD-Rs and audio resolution.....

I confess I'm a bit confused by the technical issues surrounding HD recorders and "mix-down" to a redbook audio-CD. Mostly, I'm not sure what CD-R device(s) would be the best to consider for use with a digital HD recorder. What are the features needed to produce a good audio CD? What are the implications of using the HD recorder at higher resolution than cd-audio?

To be more specific, I'm trying out an Akai DPS-16. One of the recommended CD-R drives is a Yamaha CRW8424SXZ. The Akai warns not to record in high resolution for recordings intended for audio CD's because of "troubles" down-converting to cd-audio quality. If I want to record in high resolution is my only mastering option to mix-down to my PC (Echo Mia card) and dither/burn there? If I used a Sony CDRW33 or other higher-end CD-R device with 24-bit AD/DA it wouldn't matter, right? (because the Akai is mastering the CD with SCSI, not audio, so the Sony AD/DA converter isn't used to burn the disk...I think)

I would skip an external CD-R all together except I'm having some PC nightmares and want to be able to record music with the PC out of the loop when I want to just jam (and not deal with Winblows.) Is my best bet then, to get something higher-end like the Sony CDRW and feed it S/PDIF from the Akai DPS-16 (from high-resolution multitrack recordings) to master redbook CDs?

Sorry for the dumb questions (God bless the newbie forum) and thanks for any pointers!

-Shaz

Yo SHAZAM: [Who used to say that?]

I can give a small bit of help. Standards for CD duplication, at this moment, are 16 bit. So, if you buy any unit, such as the Yamaha DAW2816, you can record in 24 bit; however, you can't use the unit to create a CDR or CDRW at that bit rate.

But, you can also record at the 16 bit rate and handle the total recording in the digital domain and burn a CDR or CDRW.

I think you should reserach this site for more information from the guys who really know the process, as well as several sites on the net.

Happy New Year
Green Hornet

Ahah!

.....I have a vague memory of a guy in a red cape-suit with a silver lightning bolt on his chest....

But anyway, I found a blerb burried in the documentation related to the version 3 update which describes a process to internally downsample to redbook "quality" just prior to mastering a CD, so it seems like the answer to my question is just buy any compatible drive. I can't imagine why I'd need a drive packed with frills (like the Sony CDRW33.)

Thanks GH!

-Shaz

Yo Shaz:

You're right on track. It was CAPTAIN MARVEL. I have one of the rare video cassettes of one or the "only one" of the Captain Marvel Serial which came out when I was a wee one. I waited a long time until that film became available and I got it. I also have a couple of others which none are available any more. They help fill the void of "ugly television."

Happy New Year
Green Hornet
:D :p :p

Back