questions from a newbie

eichler

I am about to have a CD pressed. The CD was professionally mastered and was sent to the pressing plant. When I spoke with the plant (Diskmakers) and asked them about the CD Titles and song titles and they told me the mastering engineer should have included it on the master. They said they could do it for an additional $50 charge but would then have to send the disk out to replicated elsewhere (they said Sony.) I have not yet approved the production.

Question 1 - Isn't it supposed to be standard procedure to include that information on a CD? It seems every commercial CD I play has that data encoded.

Question 2 - Who normally encodes the master disk with the Album Title, Artist and song titles - the mastering engineer or the pressing plant?

Question 3 - Diskmakers vs. Oasis CD vs someone else? Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Q1 - Is it becoming more and more common, but it is NOT standard procedure. You probably should have asked the mastering engineer to do it if you wanted it that way.

It was not long ago that an audio CD was just that - an AUDIO CD. Now there are all kinds of hybrids.

Q2 - Normally the mastering engineer. The pressing plant simply makes the glass master from whatever is supplied by the ME and presses the copies.

Back