Questions about Midi Controllers

rweiss

Heyas,

So I don't play keyboard, and I've never set up any MIDI stuff, but I'm eager to purchase a decent MIDI controller and get something going on my computer. My question is simple. If I just buy a MIDI controller, can I just plug it into my computer's midi interface, and use a software synthesizer to get the keyboard working through my computer? In other words, I don't need anything else, right? ...Just the midi controller and some software synth's?

Also, does anyone recommend any good MIDI controllers for around $300-$400, or does your MIDI controller not matter as far as quality (as opposed to features) goes?

Thanks,
Ryan

I personally like the CME controllers and I own a CME UF-8. Depending on what you want to do consider the number of keys. If you want to play all or most ranges go for the 76 or 88 key controller. If you want to just tweak things and trigger things with midi then maybe you could use less keys.
The main thing to consider in what you are doing is the audio interface or the sound card in your computer. Only mac computers audio is fast enough with the factory sound drivers . PCs need a LOW LATENCY sound card,if you don't have low latency card there will be a large noticable delay from the time you press the key untill you hear sound making the instrument unplayable. For this reason many people give up on software synths. Something like a m-paudio 24/96 card or if you use a laptop then ECHO I/O is a good bet. You should get 10ms delay or less.

Just to clarify, this is the midi controller referred to in the above post.

Most USB keyboards come with ASIO drivers, which are designed especially to be low-latency, and this one is no exception.

Here's the one I would get if I was going to get a CME, and here's one with an audio interface built in. If I was buying one today, I'd probably buy this one because it has full sized keys, plenty of controllers and a comprehensive editor/librarian package so you can have a setup for every one of your synths.

Timothy - I've actually ordered a CME UF-7 which should be available at the end of this month at my supplier. I'm replacing my crappy 61-key MIDI keyboard.

Didn't want to go for the 88-key piano-weight keyboard, simply because I prefer the lighter touch for strings and other stuff, plus I've got a real piano anyway.

But I was checking out those CME keyboards at a recent trade show, and they're built like tanks. Solid metal chassis, with funky red end cheeks. Can't wait...

Thanks for all of the great advice. I'm looking at the UF8 and wondering what the little computer keyboard display does on the top right-hand surface of the interface, if anything? Timothy, you say you own one? DOES this thing have any purpose, or is it just something to spice up the display? I noticed the UF7 doesn't have this. Maybe I'll just go with the UF7 model if this thing doesn't provide any extra functionality. Can you think of any reasons why I SHOULD go with the 88 instead of the 76 keys, besides the 12 extra keys? :P

Thanks,
Ryan

Something you need to consider about the CME controllers is that they are "brainless".

When you power them off, they lose all of their settings. For me, it would get tiring having to reprogram my patch assignments everytime I turned it on.

Carl

How does one go about programming a controller? I'm going to have this thing plugged into my midi interface, using a software synth as my module. Can I just save my programmed mappings in the software, and just reload them when I restart? Is this how programming these things normally happens?

Krakit, no the CME controllers are not brainless, they recall the last settings you made when you powered down,also they come with software to save anything you want to into your computer so you could save hundreds of setups and recall them on a whim from your computer. Most will find this useful because most will probably be using a computer. If your using a hardware box,whats the point?you may as well buy a hardware synth.
To answer the question about what the dial does,it can do several things depending. One thing it does is adjust nrpns or rpns (program changes).You can also do this with the buttons.
Don't be mislead by the number of controls shown because the knobs bank and the sliders bank have several modes effectively doubling them just like having three banks of knobs and three banks of sliders. I'm not a midi scientist and this does all I need it to.

One other tidbit to potential purchasers though this is a Chinese startup company and like all companies they have had some initial issues with their products that have now for the most part been corrected. If you buy one download the latest drivers from their site to be sure you are up to snuff.

Also this thing is HEAVY,(CME UF 8).I gig once a week and in the case it is probably 60 pounds. I am eventually going to leave this in the studio and get a lighter board to carry,new at Jan Namm the M-audio 88SX just 13 pounds does midi and has internal sounds and 88 keys,makes me drool.

I love my CME though and you'll have to pull it from my dead fingers. ;)

Rweis I am sorry I missed some of your post. To answer your question the readout is to view channels and controller settings the circle of leds are just cool thats all. The reason I went with an 88key controller was because most samplers both hardware and software are mapped for an 88 key board and I play with Kontakt 2,secondly I am a keyboard player and with less than 88 keys I feel like I'm walking around without my underwear. In my opinion 76 keys would probably do you ok you only lose the least used keys and you have a quicker key action.
I personally would find it annoying to always be changing octaves with a button on a smaller board. I suppose if I were just composing dance music or adding parts in very small increments lesser keys would work,but this just isn't how I work.

rweiss said:
How does one go about programming a controller? I'm going to have this thing plugged into my midi interface, using a software synth as my module. Can I just save my programmed mappings in the software, and just reload them when I restart? Is this how programming these things normally happens?

Well, for the cheaper ones like Maudio Oxygen programming is done on the keyboard itself by using the keys as various function buttons (they are marked for what they do) and then saving to a preset slot. Not very efficient and only allows for assigning midi CC controls.

Better controllers will have a software front end. My novations software is just a graphical representation of the controller, you click on the control you want to edit, select what type of control it is (theres a number of options including increment, sysex, 7 bit, 14 bit, button with states and so on) and thats it. You can then send it to the controller and save it to its memory or you can save it as a standard sysex midi file (if you want to load patches via sequencer) which is really nice since you can save your mappings withing the DAW session and it will only retain them in controllers memory so when you load the session, the mappings will be loaded automatically (reason does this by default)

Obviously, you can take this as little or as far as you want. I use mine to control primarily hardware which is a bit tedious since most of the commands I need are sysex. The way I speed things up is to use a software front end for my device (Midiquest specifically) and just copy the sysex strings from the midi buffer into the novation software

Hmm, this is a very hard choice. I'm debating between the UF8 and the novation 61SL. They are both the same price. The reasons I'd choose either:

UF8:
-88 keys, weighted. I'd like the realism
-Durable, sexy

61SL:
-More portability
-More features
-LED displays for each keyset
-Onboard memory templates

I know I probably won't take advantage of the advanced features, as I'm in the earliest possible stages of learning both keyboard and MIDI. I'd like the CME realism, and the novation's feature-rich design. Though I'd love to start learning piano on a weighted, 88-key rig, I'd most likely use this for small parts in songs. My native instrument is the drumset, and I'm going out on a limb here to start writing my own content. :P

Anyways, I'll ponder my decision some more. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Last edited:
For me, playablilty will always trump usability, especially in this case. Keep in mind that you will (hopefully) be playing it more often than you will be programming it.

I'm swaying towards the UF8 at the moment. I'm wondering if anyone (Timothy?) has the CME UF400E, the optional FireWire interface for the rear of the CME UF-series controller.

Here's a link to the UF400e:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UF400E

Does anyone know exactly how good this thing is, as far as connection and preamp quality goes? ... Or would I just be better off saving up for a more standard external FireWire interface? If I DO opt to buy such a FireWire interface in the future (e.g. the Presonus Firepod, which I've played with in the past), it would pretty much replace this optional UF400e board entirely, correct?

I was really tempted to get the 400e and I still might,but if I did it would most likely not be my main interface.For 200 dollars theres not a lot out there and it would be built right into the keyboard cool real cool.
I just got a great birthday present from my wife. She picked me up an M-audio 88SX. I wanted one because when I play out I didnt want to unhook the uf8 every time(its a real pain to unhook the setup) and the uf8 is very heavy to lift,and I probably would have ruined my newly built studio desk in the process.
The key feel is nothing to get exited about on the 88SX but its main assets are 1. Its 88 keys 2. Its only around 20 pounds 3. it has the staple sounds built in(in case my computer takes a dump in front of 50 people)4. Its also a pretty good midi controller.I owe my wife big time.

To answer your question. It all depends on what you are going to be doing. If say you are just recording yourself occasionally or friend then the 400e might be all you'll ever need(it would make a great first interface).The only advantage with the interface is audio input,you can record midi all day long without it.

Alright cool. I'll hold out for something else then. As I said before, my native instrument is the drumset, and with a minimum of 8 mics, I might as well wait. I did use the Firepod for a while, and I wasn't totally impressed by it (as far as preamp quality and meshing between different instruments goes), so I'm gonna get some money together for a Mackie 800r or something similar. I won't turn this discussion into another Firewire interface debate though. ;)

Thanks again for all of the help.
-Ryan

Back