Questions about hard drives

Oobleck42

I have a Tascam 788 which came with a 15 gig HD. I'm getting dangerously low on space now, and I'm wondering what I should do.

Should I buy an external SCSI drive to use for backup? If so, what type do I need to get that will work with the 788 and where can I get it?

Or should I upgrade the drive that's already in the unit? This sounds ideal to me if it is possilble. However I do not want to start taking apart my Tascam 788 myself because I'd probably destory it.

Any advice?

I installed an 80GB DiamondMax Plus 9 7200rpm in my 788 about a month ago after much research and anguish over the additional
heat issue. [ 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm ] It does run a little warmer
but has not caused a problem yet and Tascam recomends a 7200
rpm for replacement drives. ] An 80 GB hard drive will give you
65 GB of usable space. Thats all you can get internally from the 788. If you need more you will have to go external. I love the internal drive space. The 80 GB Diamondmax plus cost me 69.50
from Zipzoomfly.com. Installation is easy, just be careful and patient when removing the ribbon cable on the hard drive, its on very tight. With a tiny screwdriver [ like for eyeglasses ]you can
gently work each end of the ribbon cable connector loose until it comes off. Everything else is a piece of cake. hope this helps.

Back