Questions about electronic drum sets

jiffy feet

Hi All,

I have been looking for a while at several different sets from Roland, Yamaha, Pintech and Hart Dynamics. I have a few questions about e. drumsets in general.

What is the difference between the mesh pads and the rubber pads in terms of playability and responsivesness?

Which company's pads are the "best?"

Do I need a module specifically designed for drums or can I just use the pads to trigger samples from my computer or my Motif?

I am mostly trying to figure out if I would be wise to buy the DTXpress II set from Yamaha for ~$1,000, or if I could spend that $1,000 on better pads with no module and use equipment I already have to generate the sounds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

First off - you can not take the trigger signal directly from a pad into a computer or a Motif. The pads send a signal via a 1/4' cable. A "drum module" has converters to accept the signal - most "keyboards and related modules" do not have these converters. So yes you do need the right kind of module.

Roland does make a converter (can't remember the model) which can accept 4 trigger pads and convert them to a MIDI signal - but by the time you buy the converter and the pads you are at more than half the price of the Yamaha Express (with less triggers, etc).

The mesh pads offer better dynamic response which means a drummer's "technique" translates better. The mesh pads feel more like drum heads (and respond more like drum heads). The mesh heads absorb the stick impact better - meaning less impact returns up the stick into the hands, wrists and arms - which can be a big deal if you play for long periods of time. This also means the mesh pads make less noise (stick noise) which can be an issue when recording.

Which pads are best? They all trigger pretty well (that's what they are suppose to do) but given all the variable the mesh pads are best, in my opionion. The Roland pads work well as do the Hart and the Pintech (I've never tried Ddrums and have no opinion).

I do think the Yamaha Express is a pretty decent little kit for the price.

mesh heads in my opinion are the best for a drummer because of the responce they almost feel like a real kit and can be tuned for the right amount of action like a real drum as far as the modules are concered only drum modules can be linked to drum pads however the Roland SPD-20 can accept MIDI files from a computer into one of it's 8 pad locations it already has an amazing selection of sounds on it and is really easy to learn how to use. Back on subject DDrum triggers I have had nothing but problems with false triggering live and in the studio I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The yamaha DTXpress kit is good for the money but you can't upgrade sounds and it doesn't feel as good as the Roland kit's personally I would spend the money and buy the Roland mesh pads

Animal

Thanks for the replies. I went and played around on two sets last night, both Roland. I played the V-Club, with rubber pads, and then whichever one is next up the ladder, with mesh heads.

I can tell a difference, but the lower priced set is $1,300 and the next step up is $2,500. The mesh heads are nice, but not THAT nice. I think I will go for the V-club set and then buy a mesh snare and use the other pad as another tom or cymbal. The sounds were great, plenty for what I need.

I understand after seeing the mudule what you meant about the 1/4" ins needing a special module like that. Too much of a pain to try anything else, plus with the module the whole set becomes much more portable. I love how you can "fold up" the whole set without even taking the pads off the rack.

Thanks again for your help.

check out ebay. sometimes you can get a used roland mesh kit for a good deal there. if you play a lot you don't want to be playing the rubber pads. they really start to hurt after a while

right now guitar center has the yamaha express set for $999 with a free $140 kick pedal. you can get them to adjust the price even lower if you tell them the online price matchers will sell it for that with no tax!

Recording MIDI ouput

Can I record my drummer's Roland TD-8 from the MIDI output into Cubase, then play back through the TD-8 onto an audio track? Do I need a patch for Cubase to get the Roland drum sounds? Can't find one that looks right.

I don't have hands on with Cubase, but from what I've read, it functions much like any other digital audio software.

So - yes I must assume you can take a MIDI performance from the TD8 into Cubase - and then send that MIDI performance back to the TD8 to trigger sounds.

You should not need a Cubase "patch" - Cubase should record the MIDI note numbers and send those same note numbers back to the TD8

In fact, that is the main advantage of useing electronic drums - you can record the MIDI performance and delay committing to any specific drum sounds until later in the mix.

You should look into building you own mesh heads too. Its ridiculously simple. This summer I plan on building my own pads and then either buying a TD-8/TD-10 or figuring out how to work my computer into the equation somehow.

Here are a few links.

http://edrum.for.free.fr/
http://members.aol.com/btnkbndt/mykit.html
http://www.mosphat.com/drumcas/
http://www.derksens.com/

That should save you pleeeenty. I figure a 6 piece kit, made from new parts and everything will cost around 300-400. For the same price you could buy maybe one 12" pad from roland. How does that sound to ya? Matt

Back