questions about an excellent article on eq

Ferry123

Here's a link for an excellent article on eq>>> http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=154

But... I have ONE question. I just do not understand what is meant by this phrase (you can read it under the head Cutting the notch.

Select a band that is near the range you wish to notch out. Pull the gain for that band down 3 - 4 db. Set the Q or bandwidth to be around 1 octave. Different EQs use different values for this, but basically, you only want the Q about as wide as the range you wish to notch out. Then you just sweep the frequency of the band around the range you're looking to notch out until you hear that you've hit the pocket.

I have a vague idea, but don't see the difference between band and range.

What I know about Q (same as bandwidth?????), is that the higher the number, the smaller the notch. But what is meant by "set it around 1 octave??"

Last edited:
A lot of times EQs are divided into bands, like low, mid, and high. A band refers to a range of frequencies. It's kind of the same thing.

He, though, was referring to his picture, which shows a number of eq points already available, and recommending you choose one close to the frequency you are looking to eq. Mostly for convenience, as in parametrics, the frequency is very adjustable.
It is a tad confusing.

Setting the bandwidth for one octave means just that. It means an area approximately one octave wide will be affected by cuts or boosts. After you find the place where you need to eq, you can then adjust the Q until the right amount of bandwidth is found. Sometimes wider sounds better, sometimes narrower sounds better.

boingoman said:
A lot of times EQs are divided into bands, like low, mid, and high. A band refers to a range of frequencies. It's kind of the same thing.

He, though, was referring to his picture, which shows a number of eq points already available, and recommending you choose one close to the frequency you are looking to eq. Mostly for convenience, as in parametrics, the frequency is very adjustable.
It is a tad confusing.

Setting the bandwidth for one octave means just that. It means an area approximately one octave wide will be affected by cuts or boosts. After you find the place where you need to eq, you can then adjust the Q until the right amount of bandwidth is found. Sometimes wider sounds better, sometimes narrower sounds better.

Thank you,

I mostly understand what you're saying boingoman. Except from one thing:
The range of frequencies you're talking about, in this example, is that the range between, say, 600 & 850Hz?

Back