Questions about a Home Production studio

captainhorse

I am looking to cut commercials and radio station imaging from a home studio. I already have an EV20 mic, I'm having a dual monitor PC with a lot of memory built. I need multitrack software, cd player and a mixer to run it all through. I have around $1000, maybe a little more to spend. What I want in multitrack software is something that is user friendly, basic effects(reverb etc), preferably 8track, and allows me to burn cd's, mp3's and WAV. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do you need to record 8 tracks at once? Or just manage 8 tracks of audio?

Cakewalk ProAudio9 is cheap right now, but Sonar3.xx is the latest offering.

NTracks might work too. It's only $50. www.fasoft.com

You'll probably want a decent soundcard too. But which one depends on how many tracks you want to record simulaneously.

At the most I'll be recording 3 tracks at once. Most of the time I'll only be using 2 to 4 tracks per commercial or imaging piece. I won't be using the PC for storage, everything will be burned and stored on cd. I am considering another project where I'd use 3 tracks, all recorded seperately, for 45 minutes with very little overlap. It would be music/talk-mx bed/music etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can use the CD player on your computer for the beds. You just lay those into the multitrack software then overdub the VO. The software C7 mentioned would do fine but you need a mic preamp, decent soundcard and monitoring system. Without a good monitoring system you won't know how your mixes and EQ decisions are going to translate on other systems.

would a good set of computer audio monitors work or should I get small studio monitors? Any suugestions on good mic preamps? I've got a little cash, but not alot. Thanks, this is really helping.

The Audio Buddy is a popular cheap preamp. There are a lot of monitor choices. You might try doing a search on the forum.

Back