question

coffeeandtv

well like everyone else im getting into home recording. I'll be recording vocals, guitar, and bass, also use a drum machine and johnson j-station (some other effects later on) and finally an Alesis Qs6.1 for synth type stuff. From everything listed I don't think I'll need more then 1 or 2 tracks at a time, so I'll probably get an Audio Buddy for my pre-amp. I'm playing experimental rock, and some acoustic type stuff.

1. From everything listed, an Audiophile 2496 is all I'll need right (I'm assuming from the info i've researched on the board)? Is there a better soundcard that'll fit my needs?
2. What computer programs do you guys recommend?

The audiophile will be sufficiant for your descriptive needs. You will have audio and midi combined with this card. You will be limited to 2 mono tracks or 1 stereo track at a time. If you need more than that you can use an external mixer.
Software is a hard choice based on your budget and needs.
Sonar appears to be a popular low cost program.
I use Logic Platinum but your talking 700.00
Perhaps start with an entry level program and if you desire more options and power you can upgrade later. There's also some freebies out there you could look at.

I would try to get a card with at least 4 inputs. After a short while you may be too limited with 2. You may want to stereo mic and go direct, record yourself and another musician at the same time or start experimenting with more elaborate micing techniques for acoustic instruments.

Your sound card will be the foundation for your studio so buy a little more than you think you'll need now. You can always add another cheap pre or a mixer down the road to take advantage of the extra inputs.

TexRoadkill said:
Your sound card will be the foundation for your studio so buy a little more than you think you'll need now. You can always add another cheap pre or a mixer down the road to take advantage of the extra inputs.

What soundcard do you recommend then? My budget is around $300.

Is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 sufficient enough to do the job for my type of music?

I dont know the prices on all the cards. Check out the Delta cards and see what they have for that price. Some of the Delta's have preamps built in so you can save some money there. I would expect them to sound as good or better as the audio buddy.

If you can somehow scrape up $700 the Roland Studio Pack will give you everything you need to get clean sounding recordings right away. Digital Mixer, SoundCard, and LogicAudio software. The Roland system would be comparable to a Mackie, a good delta card and the software. It has 8x8 in/out.

i took a look at the other delta cards, and the only one I could afford is the delta 44, but i don't know if that would be anymore beneficial than the audiophile 2496, or am i wrong?

The Delta 44 will give you multiple inputs rather than a limit of 2 with the audiophile but no s/pdif, where as the audiophile does. In addition the 44 has no midi interface and I think the converters are better on the phile.

Stealthtech said:
The Delta 44 will give you multiple inputs rather than a limit of 2 with the audiophile but no s/pdif, where as the audiophile does. In addition the 44 has no midi interface and I think the converters are better on the phile.

i noticed that it had no s/pdif and midi which i need for my j-station and qs6.1, so it's pointless for me to get the delta 44, so i guess i'm stuck with the audiophile.....=l

I got the Delta 66 (which has S/PDIF) for $299 about two years ago, and I also have a Midiman MIDISport 2x2 USB which cost about $75.

any suggestions on what program to use? from reading it seems like cool edit pro is popular because of its ease of usage. any suggestions would be nice =D

Back