question

MasterG247

I am a dj and use vinyl records, I want to record from my mixer to my computer... I have a Sound blaster platinum (its not that great but does the job).... I want to know....

1. When i use adapters like from rca to 1/8 plug (to plug into computer) or from RCA to 1/4, does it lose sound quality for recording?

2. If i get a better sound card (ECHO MIA or something), does it record better from analog to digital? cause someone told me that it doesnt make a big diffrence..

3. Since i have a sound blaster platinum, is it better to use the auxilary in (RCA plugs) or the line in (i have to use converter RCA to 1/8).

4. Last question how can i get the best sound quality recrding from an analog source..

Thankyou for your time and hope someone can answer my questions..

Your Sound blaster card will allow you to record into your computer OK but it's still more of a consumer grade/gaming type card and any signal degridation the adapters themselves introduce would probably not be noticable with that system
If you're looking for very good quality, Get a sound card with S/PDIF and/or AES/EBU inputs and pick up and Apogee Rosetta AD converter. THAT would improve your recording.:D

i do have a spdif in, i have the sound blaster platinmum with the break out box, what does that converter do? does it convert from rca to spdif? and where do i get the converter? and does getting a better sound card like the echo mia help record alot better or just better?

I think . . .

I think what track rat is suggesting is that you buy a 1-2 thousand dollar external AD converter and patch that into the the Spdif input of the soundblaster. This connector, by the way, is for digital input, not analog. Don't just patch the audio out of whatever (let's say your home stereo) into the spdif input. That ain't what it's for. The analog inputs are the line and mic inputs which take 1/8 walkman style stereo plugs.

I think.:eek:

Back