question

Ferry123

I wonder what the big difference is between:

1. A signal that is recorded mono, which you can hear in your left speaker.
2. A signal that is recorded stereo, and panned to the left, so you can hear it in your left speaker.

Hope you can help me...

Well, if you are recording on your computer, the stereo file takes up twice as much hard drive space. That's a difference.

Generally, most instruments should be recorded in mono for multitrack mixes. The exceptions could include: Drum overheads, acoustic stringed instruments (sometimes acoustic guitars sound better in stereo), pianos, etc. Occasionally, I will track an electic guitar part in stereo if I am recording it with stereo effects, but usually I just record the dry track in mono and add stereo effects after tracking.

You record a stereo signal to capture a sound source in stereo (using stereo mic'ing techniques) - by it's very definition, you wouldn't pan a stereo signal all to one side (losing the right channel information), otherwise you shouldn't have bothered recording it in stereo!

Blue Bear Sound said:
You record a stereo signal to capture a sound source in stereo (using stereo mic'ing techniques) - by it's very definition, you wouldn't pan a stereo signal all to one side (losing the right channel information), otherwise you shouldn't have bothered recording it in stereo!
Ah, you beat me to it! You're too quick, Bruce!

scrubs said:
Well, if you are recording on your computer, the stereo file takes up twice as much hard drive space. That's a difference.

Generally, most instruments should be recorded in mono for multitrack mixes. The exceptions could include: Drum overheads, acoustic stringed instruments (sometimes acoustic guitars sound better in stereo), pianos, etc. Occasionally, I will track an electic guitar part in stereo if I am recording it with stereo effects, but usually I just record the dry track in mono and add stereo effects after tracking.

Well, it all happened by accident...

I recorded my guitar in stereo, and found out the output was mono... But it sounded all right with the rest... So, I guessed.. well... keep it that way. Why not? (if it sounds good, it is good, isn't it?)

Ferry123 said:
Well, it all happened by accident...

I recorded my guitar in stereo, and found out the output was mono... But it sounded all right with the rest... So, I guessed.. well... keep it that way. Why not? (if it sounds good, it is good, isn't it?)
That's the secret: use your ears....
They will develope over time....

And when you get stuck, that's where guys like Bruce come in. I am still relatively new myself. I have only been recording seriously for about a year. I've learned alot, but nothing replaces experience....

Back