Question Requarding Preamps and Interfaces

way95

Am I correct that if I purchase a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 or MOTU 896(both have biult-in preamps) I can then add a better preamp as finances allow (Focusrite ISA428 for instance) and can get the added sound quality of the outboard preamp while still using same interface?

Wayne

Both interfaces seem to run the line inputs through it's preamps. This is something that I questioned myself. I have two Steinberg UR824's. They have a -24dB pad for running line signal through them. It works just fine to my ears. The MOTU has level pads. I don't believe the Saffire does. But I have no personal experience with either of them.

Wait, it seems the Saffire does as well. :)

If running a high end pre amp thru middling, padded down AI pres bothers you look for a pre that has built in S/PDIF converters like the Audient Mico or ones that can have a reto-fitted converter (Neves do this IIRC?)
In practice, since a Focursite or MOTU pre is going to be pretty bloody good anyway, using one at low gain in line mode is really going to make jack S diff in reality. Then, since the only real reason for a "better" pre amp is to add attitude, what the harm? Of course, IF you want a super low noise pre for a ribbon, buy a Cloudlifter!

Dave.

Hey Wayne.
Good advice so far.

How many preamps of you need to get you off the ground?
If you don't need eight straight away, look at something like a motu 828mk2.
If you need more right away you could get the 828mk2 with an behringer ada8000

That gives you a load of entry level preamps, but it also gives you 8 separate clean line inputs so you can add fancy preamps as money permits.

*There may be a unit out there with 8 mic preamps and 8 separate line ins out of the box….I duno.

Last edited:
Back