question regarding multiple firewire interfaces...

Ironklad Audio

here's the deal...

i do all my tracking through my onyx 1640 with the firewire option card. everything has been working great and all, but i've been looking into getting some kind of control surface to have some tactile DAW control

after a lot of looking/shopping around, i think that i'm pretty settled on picking up the tascam FW1082, which is not only a control surface, but also an interface with A/D conversion, SPDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, etc.

now...i've heard of people having issues using more than one firewire audio device at a time, and am wondering what kinds of hoops i might have to jump through to make this work...i really don't feel like spending $600 to have something that's going to give me a bunch of trouble, especially since tascam's user support is widely known to be atrocious.

FWIW, i'm using cubase with winxp, and don't need to use any of the mic/line inputs on the tascam - for now it will be solely for the DAW controlling functions - i'd like to use the MIDI I/O at some point as well, but i'm not too worried about that right now, since i don't have any MIDI devices at this time.

Isn't that Tascam unit kind of overkill, given you're paying for all those preamps & convertors you won't be using?

Why not just get a dedicated usb/midi control surface for a fraction of the price and you won't have any FW compatibility hassles

i'm probably going to get the tascam because it's the least-expensive full-featured control surface on the market. the only thing less is the(gulp) behringer BCF2000, and i'd rather not get that thing.

i've seen both of those before, and neither really seems that appealing...the j-control has all of the features i'm looking for in a control surface, but is just wayyyyyyy too small. it's cool having 32 faders, but not when they look like pinheads.

What kind of control do you want. Just basic levels,eq,panning ? Then mod the 1640 so firewire signal is after fader. Mod is I believe around 400 and doesnt void Mackie waranty. I use a 1640 and use Tracktion 3 (my 1640 isnt modded I like the clean signal.) and I dont mind using my mouse and keyboard to adjust levels. Save your money and keep on clickin :) But I agree it would be nice to use mechanical faders at times.

i've thought about the onyx mod, but it wouldn't help out with mixing ITB, since as you know it only has the stereo output to the console. featurewise, what i'm looking for is something that will control levels, panning, automation, internal aux sends, EQ, transport, punch i/o, etc. it's an extra-added bonus that for a little more money, the tascam offers the midi and digital i/o, both of which were things i was planning on getting in the future anyways.

i've been content with clicking around for the last couple of years, but lately i have been doing some work on a digidesign d-command, and now i realize how much faster/easier it is to work with a physical control surface at your fingertips

anyways...i did some looking around on here last night, and it looks like it should work if i install the ASIO4ALL drivers and keep each unit plugged into a separate firewire card

Back