Question regarding mixer to laptop hookup

RunTmb

Hey guys, thanks for checking out my thread. I have a Behringer ddx32-16 mixer, but I'm not quite sure how to hook it up to my laptop. I would assume I need some sort of RCA to a USB cable....but I am not sure. What do you guys think?

Thank you!

IMG_20160713_160008743.jpgIMG_20160713_155940381.jpg

Last edited:
I would assume I need some sort of RCA to a USB cable....but I am not sure.

The RCA connectors carry SPDIF/digital audio signals...so you would need to get some sort of conversion box that will go from that to USB.
You would probably also want to connect the Word Clock to maintain sync between the computer and the mixer ...but laptops don't have that...so IMO, it would be best to just get an interface with RCA/SPDIF and WC options.

Read your manual...that might give you more clarity about the connections on the back of the mixer.

what DAW are you using? ditch the mixer and get a interface, I say this because I went the mixer route at first and wasted alot of time and money, when I went the interface route it was much easier and you have many more options to play with, :D

Thank you guys for the responses. I do have a little alesis 8 channel USB interface, I was just hoping I could figure a way to use the mixer for more inputs. Would it be a stupid idea to hook up all my mics to the mixer, then hook the mixer to the interface, then to the laptop?

I guess it would be important to note that I'm not looking to get super good quality recording or anything, just super rough demos so the band can work on parts before we go into a legit studio.

You will only be able to record the number of simultaneous tracks as your interface has channels.
IOW...you could have 24 channels on your mixer...but if you interface only has two...then you would have to sub0mix those 24 mixer channels down to two, and you would end up with them being all recorded onto two tracks.

Now that may work for your situation...but I only mention that since most people assume one microphone = one recorded track.

Okay awesome! No that's exactly what I was hoping for. It will take a lot more time for settings pre recording, since I won't be able to adjust levels and what it after but, it's better than putting 2 mics in the middle of the room for sure. Awesome guys thank you so much!!! Been a great help!

Thank you guys for the responses. I do have a little alesis 8 channel USB interface, I was just hoping I could figure a way to use the mixer for more inputs. Would it be a stupid idea to hook up all my mics to the mixer, then hook the mixer to the interface, then to the laptop?

I guess it would be important to note that I'm not looking to get super good quality recording or anything, just super rough demos so the band can work on parts before we go into a legit studio.

you could use the mixer to submix inputs, say you wanted to record the whole band, you could run your drums into the mixer, mix them and send the left and right outputs from the mixer to your interface and use the other 6 channels on the interface for other inputs. took a quick glance at the manual, looks like you have 4 outputs you could use to run to the interface. it also has ADAT which is pretty cool. it looks like a pretty good mixer. I will do some more reading on it.:thumbs up:

Back