Question: Reaper software

\/\/1|_|_

I've imported some midi files for tracks and need them to play with the audio tracks. they don't. I've tried obvious stuff like unmuting/volume, selecting the track. I can't seem to get it to play. any suggestions? all other audio files work. (also, i'm creating them in another program, then saving them as midi files, then importing into reaper.they won't play though?

You will need at least one VST or DX instrument to plug into the track. Go here and search for something you'll need anyway -- like Drumatic 3 or Rez or Motion or something else that's free.

Then set it up in a VST directory and point Reaper to it under the 'options-preferences' menu.

In Reaper, click on 'fx'.

That will bring up a box titled 'fx chain for track (so + so)'. Click on the VSTi you just downloaded and close the window.

Then hit play and listen to your midi file.

thanks for your thorough help. I tried to follow, and could sort of do so. I downloaded Rez 2.0 and drumatic 3. I just saved them in a standard folder on my desktop. When I tried to run the programs the computer wanted to know what program to use to open them up. You may have already told me how to do this, (but I don't know how to set up a VT directory) I tried to continue through your steps, and almost got it, but when telling Reaper to open these programs, I was unable to find them from the file tree.
I'm sorry for this misunderstanding, I would GREATLY appreciate if you found time to run through the process one more time. (since the programs are already on my computer) I just need to know how to open them.
thanks for your time.

Go into the folder - probably in your C drive - that you have Reaper installed in and create a sub folder called 'VST Plugins'.

Then move both the Drumatic 3 and Rez 2.0 folders into that folder.

Set the VST plug-ins path under preferences (access it either under the 'options' menu or by clicking Cntrl+P) to C:ReaperVST Plugins, then click 'Rescan directory'.

After hitting 'Apply' go back to the track in question and click on 'fx'. This should bring down a box that says 'FX chain for track (xx)'. Click Add. If it's a drum part, click Drumatic 3 and if it's a melodic part click Rez 2.0.

Doesn't have to be a sub-folder.
REAPER has a window to specify where plug-ins are.
I created my own folder independant to REAPER called c:\vst_plugins and it works.

thanks for replying, I followed that the whole time, and loaded and applied drumatic 3, but am not getting any sound through the chanel once I do that. If I apply VSTi: ReaSynth (CocKos), I do get sound, but in a beeping-bleeping form. Do I need to still do something to Drumatic 3 first?

Open up the midi editing window by dropping the 'edit' menu and selecting 'open items in editor'.

On the keyboard on the left hand side of the screen play the C3 key with your mouse. If you have the Drumatic hooked up correctly that key will play the kick drum. You may need to replay your drum part if it's not lined up - there doesn't seem to be a way to transpose notes in the midi editor yet...

If your part is supposed to be a drum part and you play it with Rez 2.0 you will get bleeps.

you'll also want to turn on the software monitor by pressing the little speaker with the X through it in the mixer section.

Back