question on preamps Rack002 or Presonus

Tim Walker

New project studio set up this week. My set up is the 002 rack with the Presonus digimax LT. I will have 6 mics on the drums, two on the guitar, two inputs for bass, one for vocals, one misc. I want to wire everything to pretty much be permanant as this is for my band setup and once it is together there will be no need to reroute cables, mics, etc.

Are the preamps in the Rack or the presonus more suited for certain things? Should I run 4 drum mics from the rack, or are the presonus better for drums? During my test tracks I have only the presonus used, and not the Rack preamps.

I guess my question is are the rack preamps inferior to the presonus, or does it matter?

Thanks

tim

Tim Walker said:
I guess my question is are the rack preamps inferior to the presonus, or does it matter?

tim

The Digi002 rack are actually quite good, but the best way to know is to hear for yourself. I have one and I like them, but for convenience I usually use other preamps already in the signal chain and then use my mixing console to route to the Digi002R.

If you have time, do an A vs. B shootout and compare?
-Make sure to have decent monitors
-Use the identical microphones and same placement for the sound source.
-Then play each isntrument a few times and record each mic to a seperate track in ProTools.
-Audition the tracks and alternately solo/mute each track in a loop and compare them.

I usually test on
-Acoustic guitar
-Vocals
-Electric guitar amp
-Tambourine
-Wistle -a plain old tin whistle in G
-Snare
-Kick
-Cymbals
-Bass

Thanks for that info.

I was planning on doing some a/b on the preamps, but I just got this stuff on Monday and am in the beginning stages of getting sounds. So far with just sticking the mics on the drums and a 609 in front of the amp, I'm fairly pleased with the dry sounds.

tim

get all your money together and buy 2 really really expensive mics, put both on the guitar and who cares about anything else. -a guitar player.

Back