Question on my last purchase?

A7X

Well I'm planning on doing a last purchase before I can start writing music(beats, techno, ect. I've been recording different style but now I want to do a different style.

Here is a list of programs and gear that I own.

Reason
Fruity loops 6.0
Cubase SX 3.0
Guitar pro 3
A few purchased VSTs
Firepod 8 track
A few mics

So my next step would be a keyboard? Whats the best way to go for this, i'm planning on not spending a whole lot of money now and just upgrading later. But what will be the best way of doing this?

CAn anyone help me?

Probably get yourself a MIDI Keyboard - the M-Audio MIDI keyboards are pretty nice, these days, a step up from the Oxygen8 that I used to own. Seeing as you already have loads of software that have great sounds in them, buying an arranger's keyboard (Korg Triton, etc.) seems to be a very expensive way to go. In this case a controller will do you just fine.

But if you really want to get into making beats, electronic or otherwise, I'd get an MPC2000.

The MPC series is the granddaddy of all hardware sequencers. It allows you to have tactile control over samples that you either made yourself or that you have downloaded to the machine. It keeps things "real" by allowing you to actually play it as an instrument, or to let the sequencer do all the work. Plus, it's got that greak AKAI sound, which no other machine has (it's a punchy, full sound). That way, you can compose/play outside of the computer, and just record what you've done on the MPC, or you can use the MPC to control stuff on your computer as a MIDI controller.

It's what many people who make electronic music use, for sequencing tight beats. I used to want one in such a bad way, but now I make music that has no real rhythm.

i'd say you're set with reason and cubase. now it just depends what type of info you want to put in your computer through the keyboard. if you want beautiful piano sound, get a weighted keyboard that feels like a piano.

if you want to make beats, you can get the cheapest m-audio keyboard and hook up your keyboard to redrum, play the keys like you're drumming with your fingers, and then quantize it. reason is sweet for that type of thing, you don't need extra gear.

Back