Question: Mixing down MIDI?

Xipe

I only sing and play guitars on my home recordings, so I use (soundfont) midi for bass and drums. Earlier when I mixed down I used to change my SB Live to record "What you hear" to get the midi down as wav's.

However, now I've upgraded to an E-MU 0404 sound card; and I noticed that recording "What you hear" is not longer an option. :(

So, how does everyone else (who records like me) solve the problem with mixing down the midi in Cakewalk?

The "what you hear" option simply routed all the audio paths of the soundcard to the inputs -- MIDI synth, line in, mic in, CD player, everything. It was sort of the brain-dead option for those that couldn't figure out how to enable just the specific inputs they wanted.

But the new soundcard you have, I suspect it might not have a hardware MIDI synth on board (few if any do except for the gaming/consumer-level cards like the SoundBlaster). So you need to use software synths or an external synth with its audio output patched into the line in of the card. Either way, the audio data is streaming through the card and it should be straightforward to record.

Back