Question: i stripped out my screw on the neck of my guitar

I have a floyd rose and while putting some new strings on it stripped out one of my neck screws. Anybody ever had this happen or know how to fix it. Thanks!

I'm thinking that you mean the screw-hole, and not the screw itself since a simple screw would be easy to replace.

Anyway, yes... there is a way to fix it.

There's a liquid compound that woodworkers use for just such a problem. You squirt a dab in the hole, let it harden, and re-tap the hole so the screw will fit. the name of the compound escapes my memory, but I know it seems to work well.

Maybe someone else can help me out with the name of the stuff?

I know you said Wood Workers but could it be Plumbers Putty, it comes in a tubular case its the consistancy of playdoe ya mix it together it gets hot and turn rock hard? Its an epoxy.

Thats not how you spell play dough, is it, but it sure tastes good.

I know what pumber's putty is, but that's not it.

It's a product that's specifically for wood only.

Hey Slay, I asked my S.O. here and he said to use a product called "JB Weld", you can get it at Wal-mart or auto parts store. It's a 2-part epoxy and is as hard as steel after it cures, then you can re-do the threads by just putting the screw back in.

See, men are good for something...I woulda used duct tape. :D

or of course you can simply buy a new floyd rose nut for $12 and have a nice pretty job instead of gooping all sorts of different shit in there that won't last as long

Yeah...um....J B Weld & Plumbers Putty are...um both steal filled Epoxy...um.Yeah see...like um the same.;)
hee hee
I've got a toothpick you know.

c7sus is right....the toothpick thingy works.....at least try it, it would beat hell out of trying to dig JBweld out if you screw it up...not to mention be careful with anything that might totally melt the finish on your guitar.......gibs

Screwed???

Get some PVA glue, it's water based so you can wipe off any excess. Get some saw dust. Mix the two together and shove the paste into the screwhole. Tamp it down well to ensure the hole is completely filled. Give it a couple of hours to set, that should do the trick.

I tried this recently to great effect - but it was on a shelf, not a geetar. I drilled a small diameter pilot hole into the wood then the screw went in like new.

--
BluesMeister

melted stuff looks cool

hey it adds character !!! j/k...its probably easier and a lot less painful to try the toothpick thing first, or a small piece of solder busted off and stuck in the hole to the same effect.

Back