Question from CalebMcC

MadAudio

Damned if I do
This guy is too shy to post his own threads, so I thought I'd help him out. Here's the bulk of the visitor message I just got from him:

I am a lead guitar player in a hard rock band, and in my free time, I love to play punk and shred (Joe Satriani, Dragonforce, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and Yngwie Malmsteen are some examples) but at this point am still using my starter guitar, a Les Paul Epiphone standard. I am considering buying a metal guitar by Jackson or Schecter for their thinner necks and smaller frets and other such features that make quick soloing simple. I am wondering what you would recomend for me to get. Sadly, I am only 15 and have a price range. It would need to be under $1000, preferably in the range of 500-800. I know that probably limits alot of what you were thinking might be good, but hope it doesnt effect things too much. Question number 2: I am sort of into have the right pickups as I see it is an easy, yet simple way to improve overall sound. so, I am wondering what pickups you recomend. Please tell me if the pickups are in relation to the guitar you recomend, and if you recomend more than 1 guitar as an option, please tell me the pickups for each. I've been looking at Duncan and EMG, but whatever you recomend i will most likely take. I'm looking for something a little more high output than what I have for sure, and they need to be quite versatile since I do alot of big walk ups all over the fret board. lol.

Having never owned nor played a Jackson, I would gravitate towards Schecter. A lot of guitar for your $, IMO.

Any reason why you are not considering Ibanez? (Assuming he will reply)

I have also avoided EMG's because I've always read that they are over-hyped, but I'm only regurgitating what I've read/been told.

I don't think you can go too wrong with Seymour/Duncan....

My $.02.

I'd agree with the Ibanez thing. They do some pretty good guitars for pretty cheap. They do a lot of thin neck type stuff for shredders. On that note, it might not matter if you want to get new pickups, but with Ibanez's (well...any guitar really!) play it first. Some of the stock pups on Ibanez guitars can be real shitty in my experience.

Ibanez, no question. The price of a decent Ibanez will still leave you enough cash to throw some Duncans in there...if you're looking for versatility in your sound, the typical approach (I use these in my Ibanez too) is a JB and a 59.

Yah, $800 would get you a sweet Ibanez if that's what you're into.

Why isn't he posting Mad? :confused: Guitars & Basses is uber-civilised.

Caleb,

First, It wasn't thin necks and tiny frets that made Joe Satriani or the other shredders fast. It was practice. That kind of playing cannot be made simple with a change in frets or neck. That having been said, If you feel you would be more comfortable with a smaller neck and/or different frets, go for it.

Second, There's an awful lot of good music, especially punk, being made on Epi LPs. Make no mistake. You have a good guitar. I would encourage you with your plan for a pickup upgrade. This has a potential to really improve your tone. On this one I really urge you to do your homework. It's not just about great pickups. It's about getting the best pickups for your application. Those may not be the same for you as someone else who has a tone you like.

While we're at it, TONE IS IN YOUR FINGERS more than your hardware.

Third, You didn't give us any information about your amp. I suspect your amplifier may be the best first place to direct your resources. An electric guitar is the instrument AND the amp. Having the right amp is more important than many guitarists appreciate.

Back