question for ya'll??

Marc Mag

for anyone here that owns there own little studio or for you guys working in the field, i was wondering if you took any courses in audio recording or you just learned by yourself? Im looking into a college for next year and was wondering if i should go for it or just learn it on the side as a hobby, cause i dont no much about recording but i'm really interested. I greatly appriciate any response.

I took years of learning from different people who were steps ahead of me. I'm not gonna knock the recording schools because from what I hear you do get a lot of good information, but I think some of that information is pretty costly considering if you know how to network and don't expect anything overnight, you can get some good results as well.

In all honesty, before you decide whether you should pursue it as a career or as a hobby, take time to learn and hone your skills in whichever aspect of it you want to be in. You might see interest in it now but get frustrated when it's been six months or so and you don't see the progress that you want to see.

But if you are looking for more information and tips/tricks to help with getting started, you've found the right place. Welcome to HomeRec.

thx for your response, ill take you info in great consideration, its nice to see how other people look at it. I really want to pursue this, its always been a big dream of mine, but like you said, is it really for me...well honestly i dont know, but im hoping with some time and help from people like you, ill be able to figure it out.

I graduated college and took workshops. But, the major learning came from hands on and working in a studio. Use education and college for a stepping stone and to get you started. The most you will learn is from on the job and finding your own tricks of the trade.

If you want to go into audio for a career, I'd say YES go to college and get some degree. It helps your resume and to get jobs. But, if you just want to learn and do it as a hobby for the moment, college isn't really necessary.

You may want to take a few workshops to get started, but once you get started and know the major points of audio, it's easy to learn on your own.

I would also say find an intern job at a major studio. This is a good second option then college. You will learn and better yet, you will see how studios works and is built. Mabe even get a job...

Marc Mag - If you are just getting started in audio and don't know to much about it, I'd say take some workshops on audio, recording, and mixing. Start with learning analog. Learn about how old analog gear works and how to splice tape. Learn how the human ear hears sound. Know about mics (condenser, dynamic, ribbon). Learn about signal root (line level, mic level, HI Z, Low Z...) Then get into recording and mixing. This will help you better understand the digital audio world.

*Get a college degree ONLY if you know your carrer and this is what you want to do. Don't waste $20,000 for college if this is not a carrer!

*Do, take small workshops to get started. Workshops can be only $200 and you might only have to take 2 or 3 to understand audio to get started.

*Read and watch videos, intern, and learn on your own. Learn your own tricks. You can have all the degrees in the world, but if you don't know how to use them in a studio or learned your own time saving tricks, it's all useless...

Last edited:
Well I'm taking college courses now... I figured after 5 years of bullshittin... I may as well learn to do this shit for real.

Lesson number two... Don't waste money on college if you are not sure what you want to be doing as a career... made that mistake too...

Heh, I told you you came to the right place. We've got all kinds of different backgrounds and methods around here.

thx everyone, your help and support means alot to me, im looking into learning the audio basics right now and i will definitly take a workshop or 2. i know about waisting money, cause thats what im doing now, im in college for automotive mechanics and i dont like it. I always wanted to go in recording but never knew there was a college around the atlantics. I guess i have lots of choices to look at, all i know is that if i can do a career in the audio field, i dont want to miss it. Well thx again for your help guys and ill be asking your help again soon for some audio related questions.

I'm a graduate of the school of hard knocks
where there aint no doors, just corner stores wit big locks

Translation
I never went to any school but i actually got most of what i know from this forum no joke. if you listen to some of my old stuff you will see this forum is the ish

I thought about going to school for this, but decided against it.
Too expensive, and i dont know if i want a career in this.
My advice would be to try it yourself, treat it as a hobby for a while, if your interest grows, and you want to persue it, go to school.
If you like it, but dont know if you want to do it everyday and earn a living from it, dont go to school for it.

You can learn on your own. its not going to be easy, trust me, but you will start to get it.

School will teach you the mechanics of being a recording engineer.

Lesson 1: smoke 3 packs of Newports a day.

Lesson 2: grow long hair (facial included)

It won't teach you how to flip a sample, or play a hot azz synth line.

I can teach that for the low price of just half your tuition :D

hey another route - i just foudn a couple of studios that actually have their own "workshops" that they run - n even give a "certificate" afterwards -- its worth investigatin -- the only thing college gives u are "more options" as far as what you might want to do as a "day job" -- if u are the type that is not gonna go GUNGHO with your "dream job"

when yall are talking about these "workshops", what do you mean? are they like traveling deals where when they come to your town you pay to go and learn from them, or are they online, or do they just have them is certain big cities or something? i would love to get some more info on these if anyone has it. this forum is all the school i have right now

pcp said:
when yall are talking about these "workshops", what do you mean? are they like traveling deals where when they come to your town you pay to go and learn from them, or are they online, or do they just have them is certain big cities or something? i would love to get some more info on these if anyone has it. this forum is all the school i have right now

That's what I think of when I hear workshops, but I've never been to one before, so I wouldn't know. I'm also interested in seeing if there are any around my area. Thought of going to school for this, but opted against it. I would be interested in attending a few workshops here and there if the price is right.

-Springfield

I interned at a major studio when I lived in Las Vegas. My mentor stil works there as a mixing/mastering engineer. He's done work with Lil Jon, David Banner, Ludacris, Missy, DMX, Stat Quo, Dr. Dre, Dj Clue, Too Short, and a bunch of other people I can't remember right now...

He mentored me for two years, and I constantly bounce my mixes and masters off of him for advice.

thx for all the advice guys, im taking all of your responses in great consideration. And just a quick question, do any of you know what is the most proffesional program to make beats with, by that i mean like the program that famous producers use?? :)

There aren't many virtual producers in the mainstream yet. 9th Wonder uses FL Studio, and I've heard that a few others are using Reason now.

Back