question for someone who understands electronics

sibleypeck

I see that Pro-Co makes an XLR-to-miniplug mic cable.
Will one be able to plug a mic directly into a SB PCI 64 card with this, without using an impedence-matching transformer?

sibleypeck said:
I see that Pro-Co makes an XLR-to-miniplug mic cable.
Will one be able to plug a mic directly into a SB PCI 64 card with this, without using an impedence-matching transformer?

Depends on the type of Mic?

wilkee,
It is an Electrovoice RE20: a 150 Ohm dynamic mic, popular as a broadcast mic, but works well for my singing voice.
Right now, I am using it like this:
XLR cable>impedence-matching transformer (set to "low)>1/4" female-to-1/4" female connector>1/4" male-to-miniplug female connector>miniplug male-to-miniplug male cable>soundcard. No mic pre.
Believe it or not, I still get a usable signal going in, albeit noisy and not very hot.
There are those who would tell me that the rat's nest described above will not work. But in truth, it will - it's just - less than ideal. In fact, a lot less.
If I could do better, I would.
So, if I hear that I can't use an XLR-to-miniplug mic cable connected directly to the soundcard, without an impedence-matching transformer - I have to wonder whether it will work, just not very well - or if it'll damage something.
Can you explain what will happen if I try it?

Back