question for someone who understands electronics

sibleypeck

I see that Pro-Co makes an XLR-to-miniplug mic cable.
Will one be able to plug a mic directly into a SB PCI 64 card with this, without using an impedence-matching transformer?

The short answer is no.

But then again it depends on the type of mic you're using - some cheaper dynamics have a lo/hi impeadance switch on them - in which case you'd plug it in, switch it to hi and away you go.

These mics are connected to the equipment via a standard screened cable which is made up of a single insulated core surrounded by a screen made up of fine wire. This is known as unbalanced. Most professional mics are balanced and therefore not compatible with a DI to the soundcard (Unless you have balanced in's on the card?) - there are exceptions but that's the quick answer!

Anyway my advice to you - is buy a little mixer to go with you sound card something like a Spirit Notepad or small Behringer MX series. This'll sort out all your Mic probs and give you more control over signals going to and from the card.

Hope this helps,

Stu
:-)

Tnglwd_Stu,

I haven't much money to spend on recording equipment, so I was hoping to stagger my purchases, buying in order of necessity.
I am playing around with Cakewalk PA8 on a 450MHz PIII Gateway.
I have an acoustic/electric Ovation 6-string, but all other "instruments" are written in notation and played by the computer. The only purchase I have made so far is a microphone.
Next, I plan to buy studio monitors. After that, a mic pre and compressor/limiter.

The mic I have is an Electrovoice RE20: a 150 Ohm dynamic mic, popular as a broadcast mic, but it works well for my singing voice.
Right now, I am using it like this:
XLR cable>impedence-matching transformer (set to "low)>1/4" female-to-1/4" female connector>1/4" male-to-miniplug female connector>miniplug male-to-miniplug male cable>soundcard (No mic pre).
Believe it or not, I still get a usable signal going in, albeit noisy and not very hot.

There are those who would tell me that the rat's nest described above will not work. But in truth, it will - it's just - less than ideal. In fact, a lot less. If I could do better, I would.
So, if I hear that an XLR-to-miniplug mic cable connected directly to the soundcard (without an impedence-matching transformer) will not work, I have to wonder whether it will work - just not very well - or if it will damage something.
Can you explain what will happen if I try it?

sibleypeck said:
There are those who would tell me that the rat's nest described above will not work. But in truth, it will - it's just - less than ideal. In fact, a lot less. If I could do better, I would.
So, if I hear that an XLR-to-miniplug mic cable connected directly to the soundcard (without an impedence-matching transformer) will not work, I have to wonder whether it will work - just not very well - or if it will damage something.
Can you explain what will happen if I try it?

Look. Simple answer - get an ART Tube MP - preamp, gives a 1/4" TRS output (which goes very nicely into a soundcard input via a single 1/4 - 1/8 adaptor, for $199 list - I expect they can be had street for slightly less.

I've used the MP for recording direct to a computer soundcard input, and it works fabulously.

Griffinator,
Actually, I do plan to get a preamp. But I want to get some good monitors first. I am just learning how to put a project together, and I need to mix the tracks I've got, before I replace the scratch vocal.
I was hoping to cut some of the noise by eliminating some connections (described in my earlier post) going into the soundcard.
Can anyone tell me what to expect if I use an XLR-to-miniplug cable on a 150-Ohm mic, to connect directly to a SB PCI 64?

It will probably 'work' in that you will hear sound coming from the mic. It just wouldnt 'work' in terms of what most would considerable usable sound quality. If it's just for scratch vocals then your probably okay. You wont blow anything up if that is your concern.

A cheaper alternative for you would be an audio buddy for $80. The difference in quality would probably amaze you.

Tex,
Information I have states the Audio Buddy has 'Balanced/Unbalanced TRS 1/4" outputs'.
Do I just use a 1/4"-to-miniplug cable to connect the Audio Buddy to my SB PCI 64? or does the TRS configuration require a special connector?

You could use the 1/4 to mini with the audio buddy and the SB. It will probably sound a LOT better than what your doing now.

Back