Question for fans of Ayreon

tvaillan

d'you notice how during the metal parts (of Ayreon), that the Bass and Kick or so tight and snappy it can give you a nose bleed ??

I have never heard this anywhere before. (My musical knowledge is also limitted .. lol)

Anybody (Ayreon fans) know how to do this?

I've tried:
1- Using sidechain compression between bass and kick (Ducker)
2 - I've also did some m/s processing on a group with bass and kick
3 - make room for the kick with EQ and boost it's prescence
4 - Steep low-cut on the bass
5 - All of the above at the same time.

I'm getting close, but still no-go.

Is this the case of needing a gate ?
Is it related to the electric guitar?

I'll be pulling my hair out on this tomorrow in the studio .. so any ideas would be appreciated.

I think you have to take one step back. I don't know the band you're reffering to but why are you assuming this is all happening AFTER tracking. Could it not be that they acheived this DURING tracking, with a number of factors, like: A tight rythm section, well tuned instruments, good mic placement, a good room, etc......

The further back you go in the process, the more important the steps are, which would make tracking more important than anything you could do post-tracking.

Yes it's definitely worth re-examination.

Thanks for the advice RAMI.

You'd need to hear it to know what I mean . I've never heard something so punchy and clean at the same time.

But you're certainly right, it all starts at the source. I'll simply have to try again... and again.

The cleaner the better, with this sound. It's a heavy duty band, but it's all very tastefully done. It doesn't rely on super amounts of distortion.

I've got a nice punchy yet clean (*ahem* no distortion) bass sound from an amp. I think I'll "attack" the problem with a guitar pick. Roll off even more lows and try some other post recording techniques as well.

I'll bump this thread if I ever find a solution.

Thanks again.

Back