Question for electronics/synth wizards... How can I create this sound?

imagazzell

Hi, all. New member here with a question regarding a synth sound.

Anyone who's into metal music that incorporates electronic/synth elements ought to be familiar with the master who was Chris Spicuzza of Chimaira. He created some wild and impressive sounds during his tenure with the band, a few of which I understand how to craft, most of which I don't even know where to begin...

This is an instance of the latter. How can I create a sound like the one found in this video around the 32:02 mark?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq30E--720o&feature=youtu.be&t=32m2s

Something with that airy, distant sound, with an almost "train rail"-esque ringing. Does anyone know how to create a sound like that (what type of synth and waveform to use, and what filters/effects/other parameters to focus on), without the device he's using (which I do not have)?

I have a Yamaha MOX6 Keyboard Synthesizer and work primarily in SONAR X3 Producer with its included VSTs and other plugs.

I appreciate any input to set me on the right track. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, VomitHatSteve.

I was mainly trying to see if anyone knew how to create a similar sound to the one heard in the video without the pad he's using, i.e. in a virtual synth or something.

I've been fiddling around as much as I can but achieving the sound seems to elude me.

I'd presume that you'd need a synth that has effectively "analog" control over frequency. (It can still be digital, but it can't lock to notes).

A Kaoss pad, a theramin, software. Something like that.

Back