Question for Chris Squire/YES fans..

crgman

What makes the difference to Chris Squire's bass sound on his solo album "Fish Out Of Water" to the sound on the YES albums of that time? His Rickenbacker really twangs on that album, but if you listen to YES's "Going For The One" which came out right after (and included an outtake tune from "Fish Out.." called "Parallels") the bass is much more subdued in the mix.
What do you suppose the difference in recording technique was?

-c

I'ma HUGE Yes fan. I wdon't know what he was using on either album but his live rig at that time I believe the Rick (and other basses of course) into a bunch of Fender Dual Showmans. Those cabs had 4-12" speakers in them and I read a LONG time ago he recorded through one too.
By the way, they're still one of my all time favorite bands. I'm primarily a guitar player but after watching Squire live a dozen times I went out and bought a 4001 stereo bass so I could play "Heart Of The Sunrise". That tune still gives me goose bumps.

Well, the contemporary Yes albums were produced by Eddie Offord, and there's a guy with very specific tastes about how things ought to sound! "Fish out of Water" was produced by Squire, and I don't think that he felt overly inclined to turn the treble down on his rig...

I don't think that Offord was about to let Squire's bass fill up that much of the upper mids in the mix- so I'm inclined to believe that "Fish" sounds like Mr. Squire actually _wanted_ his rig to sound, rather than what Offord thought would fit the mix in the Yes context.

Back