Question for CD Architect V5.0 experts.....

Blue Bear Sound

Is there a way to make a selected fade-type "sticky"?

(ie, set a default other than the one they preset so I don't have to keep re-selecting the fade-type each time I slice a new track...)

A pretty glaring omission in terms of user interface on Sonic Foundry's part if there isn't a way, IMO!

Good question! I'll check it out when I get home & let you know what I find, but I suspect the answer is "no."

Sonic Foundry was certainly never above user suggestions. I hope Sony is the same.

Sorry I took so long, but I had to stop on the way home to see the documentary "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music" because it was the last night of its run here in D.C. Wow - an incredible man who helped shape the very field of audio engineering. But always from a musical approach. The technology just helped him do it. I was stunned at the number of important records this man recorded. You gotta see this movie! [/rave]

OK, so there does not seem to be a way to change the default fade, either in or out. But I did think of a method that might save a little time. Since CDA has a second audio layer, you could make a track of custom fade-outs using the volume envelope. These can be copied with the envelope edit tool and applied to the main audio track. Then delete the custom fade track and burn away.

Of course now that I think about it more, that probably wouldn't really save any time. But, hey, at least you got me thinking!

Thanks MA....... I looked for a way to force it to "stick" too and couldn't find it... I was hoping someone knew of maybe hidden hotkeys for it or something....... it's a good program but there certainly are some quirky interface issues that they left in..... (like why don't they simply bring up an intuitive "channel strip" to adjust basic parameters on a track, rather than the kludgy plug-in interface.......!?!??!

Blue Bear Sound said:
it's a good program but there certainly are some quirky interface issues that they left in..... (like why don't they simply bring up an intuitive "channel strip" to adjust basic parameters on a track, rather than the kludgy plug-in interface.......!?!??!

Because its basically an assember. I thouhgt it was a great program for a year or so... then I moved into wavelab and then it wasn't doing what I wanted. Then Brad Blackwood got into Samplitude. I tracked down a old Version 6.0 and it simply kicks total buttocks. Retail was $350 and I got an off the shelf blowout for $99.00. I have been using it for Mastering and recently have been working with a film company for mutitracking for a movie sound track. Seriously if you can swing it, or even rent it..wow They have a 14 day fully functional demo at the Samplitude site. Just watch your cpu load drop 15 percent easy. Its hard not to love it once you've tried it.

SoMm

MadAudio said:
Sorry I took so long, but I had to stop on the way home to see the documentary "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music" because it was the last night of its run here in D.C. Wow - an incredible man who helped shape the very field of audio engineering. But always from a musical approach. The technology just helped him do it. I was stunned at the number of important records this man recorded. You gotta see this movie! [/rave]

OK, so there does not seem to be a way to change the default fade, either in or out. But I did think of a method that might save a little time. Since CDA has a second audio layer, you could make a track of custom fade-outs using the volume envelope. These can be copied with the envelope edit tool and applied to the main audio track. Then delete the custom fade track and burn away.

Of course now that I think about it more, that probably wouldn't really save any time. But, hey, at least you got me thinking!
Tom Dowd? I met him once at my high school on graduation day. His kid was one of my classmates. (Todd Dowd) I found him to be very approachable, very nice, and had a lot of good advice for a 17 year old looking to get into sound engineering as a career. There aren't many producers or engineers who get their picture on an album cover but his is on one of the Skynard LPs.

Too cool, Jonathan!

Hey SoMm...... that Samplitude stuff isn't cheap at all... yikes!!!

But maybe I missed something - I only saw multitrack-type s/w there, not 2-track stuff........

Back