Question: Building the PVC Moving Blanket Walls, with Fiberglass inside?

ThaArtist

I'm making the PVC Moving Blanket "booth".

Straight to the question: I'm wondering if it would it be beneficial to hang some 1" Rigid Fiberglass inside the PVC frame. And if so the whole 4ft. top half? Or thinking of weight issues, maybe just one 2'x4' piece on each wall nearest the mic? I'm wrapping both sides of the walls with The Producers Choice moving blankets so there is about a 1 1/2" gap of air in between.

Link:Sound Blankets Producers Choice `~`~`, American Made Moving Blankets, Furniture Covers, ODDS & ENDS, MOVING BLANKET

I'm doing it anyway, figured two sheets of 703 or 705 could help reduce the lower frequencies some if even only at 1". Or really I could do 2" probably it would just bulge a little out of the width the pvc pipes are.

I'm really hoping for some of the experts in the field of acoustics to post their thoughts. I figure it can't hurt right? Simple, Cheap, Portable. I already got the PVC framed so I'm not looking for alternatives. Thanks!

I would love to see your design plans. Sounds very cool! From what I envision of your plan, the 703 will be beneficial, though I don't think it will help for low end absorption the way you are expecting. Bass traps in the corners are going to be your best bet. I will bow out now before I make statements that are not based in fact. But in my experience, the problems of an untreated room will not be resolved with a small isolation device placed in it. Yes, the problems with reflections in the room will be minimized, but the qualities (good or bad) involving lower frequencies in the room will still be there. I would treat the whole room and use reflection filters to minimize the unwanted reflections.

I am very curious how your project evolves. Please keep me posted. :D

Jimmy

Thanks! Well I got a few little projects to work on until my so called basement studio construction is complete so thats the only reason I had a client pay to build these.

The room in question does have three bass traps but I doubt they will help much for where the microphone will be since they are in a part of the room where I am monitoring.

I know the cons of the moving blanket idea. I researched and read the hundreds of threads... My take is... it has to at least be better than nothing to reduce the echo and reverb.

I recorded some rap vocals before in a completely untreated small room with wood floors and granted the reverb sound I got in the mic was usable (for the type of music, it usually gets some reverb anyway), I was able to limit some the with Expanders Kit from Auralex (Aural•Xpanders Foam Isolation Kit - Acoustic sound isolation products from Auralex Acoustics.)

With that said, I might scratch the idea of hanging 703 or similar. It just depends how well I can sew together the blankets. Without a tight fit and connecting the "2 walls" I think they seem pretty unstable. We'll see. I got a buddy that is in the clothing business hes gonna help me sew them together.

It seems a 'sound' idea (pun intended). You really never know what your results will be without actually testing. Some rooms will just give good results with minimal treatment. You seem to have educated yourself and are taking steps to avoid certain issues. Once again I am curious how your build works out.

Force be with you! :D

Can you build some squares?

Fabricate wooden boxes from 1x4 lumber 3ft x 3ft square, pack em with OC703, burlap wrap them, and have a bunch of easily assembled and relocated squares? Then you just stack them in places you need them, maybe build a few corner stands to keep a 6ft wall upright and safe, and build temporary boxes that way?

If you build a moving-blanket enclosure, it might not get used often enough and the money and time dumped into them won't justify itself. But building general purpose, reusable panels that can be hung/stacked/layered wherever they're needed instead of just this one time, may be more worthwhile as a permanent investment in the studio.

And when they're done, you can hang them in a diamond pattern on the walls to look cool!

Last edited:
Oh and I might add, we've tried the moving blankets method. They don't work at all. Honestly. Dumped soooo much money into these blankets, now I use them to collect dirt in my truck's bed. Better chance affecting the outcome of American Idol by calling in 20 times. You'll get better results than blankets affecting the outcome of room acoustics.

Might as well hang flags to add color to the room instead.

Thanks for your input. Yeah well I'm not spending much. $120 total for the whole thing to give a couple people a better than nothing place to record some vocals for now and cut down the reverb and echos. Im sure the 8lb blankets doubled up to be 16lbs worth of material will be better than one fo harbor freights 3-4 lb blankets.

Back