Question: Best Keyboard for Sound Effects?

500$... that's pretty limited... i'd recommend an emu sampler... like the ESI-32 with turbo, full ram & scsi... you can get that for around 150$ ( :eek: ) ... or get the ESI-2000... a bit more expensive but more extended...

Chriss said:
500$... that's pretty limited... i'd recommend an emu sampler... like the ESI-32 with turbo, full ram & scsi... you can get that for around 150$ ( :eek: ) ... or get the ESI-2000... a bit more expensive but more extended...

I toatally agree. If your doing sound effects go with a sampler or sample based software. Have you checked out reason yet?www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/frame.html
granular synthasis and sampler are very cool.
Heck even an old akai with a few quick disks (remember those) and an efects processor can do some do some pretty neat tricks if properly employed.

Well hold on here...

Lets establish a few things first. Are you wanting to build a audio studio? or just back up a webdesign business? Just to add pads, drum loops and button clicks to some flash animation by buying a synth is in a word, wack. Your best bet would be to go buy ACID and buy one or several of the many CDs from acidplanet.com or check other pro level CD sites like East/West (www.soundsonline.com). You could take the same $3k and probably never wear out your sounds. With a synth, you'd need a sequencer and other hardware software, not to mention you'd have a finite amount of sounds to work with.

Re: 8

proteus9 said:
Well hold on here...

Lets establish a few things first. Are you wanting to build a audio studio? or just back up a webdesign business? Just to add pads, drum loops and button clicks to some flash animation by buying a synth is in a word, wack. Your best bet would be to go buy ACID and buy one or several of the many CDs from acidplanet.com or check other pro level CD sites like East/West (www.soundsonline.com). You could take the same $3k and probably never wear out your sounds. With a synth, you'd need a sequencer and other hardware software, not to mention you'd have a finite amount of sounds to work with.

he's not getting a finite amount of sounds with those V/A's he's asking about... but you're right, and that's also why i recommend a cheap sampler instead...

Well as they say time is money.. I just dont see it being worth the time to tweak a JP8000 or the MS2000 just to get a few button sounds and so forth..

Yes I'm planning on making sound effects, but I also want to make some ambient background music for sites and feel that a keyboard may be more appropriate things like that. Correct me if I'm wrong though. And thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate your time :)

Well the issue is money,I gather from what you're saying. If your working for a website design company.. $500 is going to be better spend on ACID and sound effect CDs.. For weird ambience and so foth try a CD like

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-144

If this is for yourself and want to learn on a synth anyway and muck about with your own personal websites you might be able to find a reasonable synth on ebay. If you don't mind not having actual keys for a bit try this:
http://zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.KOREM1&z=1622850384443

It has two synthesizers, similar in operation to the ms2000 and jp8000, a step sequencer and is loaded with presets and drum kits. That would be a good place to learn composition and electronic music. Later, you could add a keyboard that's a bit more advanced and will control the EM1 from it's keyboard.

I reccommend one of these two routes as finding a keyboard with "pro aduio" sounding presets is going to be really hard..

Back