Question abOUT Vocal recording and ambiant background noise!!! HELP!!!

Wonder

i Need some help on finding out how i can initially get the a good vocal recording.
i'M not as fortunate as some to be able to acoustically treat my apartment in order to get little or no backgroud noice....when i say backgound noise i don't mean electrical hums and those mechanical things. what i mean is i don't want my vocal recordings sounding....well....like they are being recorded in my bedroom!!!! ;) i don't like that backgoud ambiance of a 3rd story one bedroom apartment..if you know what i mean.....can anyony give me any tips on methods, techniques and/or cost effective equipment (Mic, compressor) or softwere (plug-ins) that may anr some how cut out or even minimize that (one bedroom apartment) ambiant backgound noise at the innitial stage of recording or right after????
I stress the cost effective part cause i'm on a budget.....but i do have programs like sound forge, cool edit and CUBASE VST (which i use for vocal recording)!!! are their any plug-ins that can help minimize that ambiant sound.

ANY HELP AND SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED.

tHANKS,
Wonder:p

You need to try the Boom stands and Blankets trick (makeshift vox booth.)

Plugins aren't too good at removing ambience. Great for adding it...

Queue

...or record vocals in a closet like I do.....but then again in an apartment, your closet may be right next to the neighbors bathroom, in which case that wouldnt be a good idea...unless you rig up a recording light that flashes "RECORDING-PLEASE DONT FLUSH" on their side.......

And you know how good you sound singing in the shower??? Don't laugh but it's not unusual for people to set up a mic in the shower as a vocal booth (DON'T TURN ON THE WATER THO!)

Just to build on the shower approach a bit - depending on the type of shower you have, you might be able to rig up a quick vocal booth by throwing some blankets or what not over the rails - and maybe tacking some up on the wall inside the shower - helps to deaden the sound.

Another cool trick is to build a makeshift bi-fold vocal booth - it can be as big as a 2 wooden doors hinged together, or as small as a couple of coffee table books joined together. A large box works great, too - just fold it in half, and affix it behind your mic, open to face the singer.

Cheers.
Scott

Keep in mind too, that a little EQ goes a loong way with vocals. If you're using a decent mic and have a fairly dead sounding area, find that upper frequency that your vocal intelligibility lives, and give it a little boost. I've known people who had killer equipment and recording space, but their stuff sounded awful because the mix wasn't right. ...just food for thought

One of the noise removal plugins (the more complicated one, can't remember the name of it) in cool-edit pro worked wonders on a noisy track I had, it just completely removed the noise and left the signal virtually intact. You'll need to have a recording of the noise by itself though, and then get the settings right for it to work.

Maston

With 3 6x6 office dividers that I bought used at an office furniture store for about $10.00 each. I am able to cut my 16x20 room down to an intimate 6x6 or smaller depending on what the song calls for. I put theese around the vocalist with the mic at the open end. Be creative. Lots of good ideas that have been tossed your way.

Thornapple, that sounds like a great idea (can't believe I never though of that). Does that work for isolating drums or amps, or just for creating a dead sounding area?

Attachments

• 01 Front panel.JPG
    01 Front panel.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 02 Front panels removed.JPG
    02 Front panels removed.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 03 Meter casing screws 1 and 2.JPG
    03 Meter casing screws 1 and 2.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 04 Meter casing screw 3.JPG
    04 Meter casing screw 3.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 05 Meter bridge removed and flipped over.JPG
    05 Meter bridge removed and flipped over.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
Sean,
I suppose it would depend on the quality of the dividers you got. I know they have some sound deadening/isolation qualities and the more you pay, the better they are in that regard. So the answer is:

YMMV

Queue

Back