question about VCRs.

bubbasmith

Well, I´ve been thinking of mastering on VCR cause I don´t have a two-track. And I´d like to master to the analog device, but I don´t even know if all the VCRs are analog. So, have you got any experience with VCR´s sound quality? I would move the track back to my computer after that, but just want to catch some analog (or just different) feel. So, any comments? Sound quality may be too poor? Or have you got any other budget solutions for me. Is some old two-track a better solution.

-bub-

I used to use a VCR to master submixes on my Tascam 414. Got better results than simply bouncing tracks. Once you go to digital you should stay there though. Every time you convert from digital to analog and back you lose resolution and introduce noise.

Just my $.02

For VCR with sound you need to remember the tape speed itself first. VHS standard speed runs slower than cassette tapes, and the track width is narrower. So it will have more noise naturally. HiFi VCR uses FM modulation like technic to get the better quality audio. But it is about the same as cassette tape with Dolby-B. The sound part of VCR hasn't change that much if not for Digital VCRs.

Misterjin

Ok, if it´s not better than regular cassette tape I guess I can forget it. Maybe it´s good to keep it in digital form and master it with the computer.
Thank´s again for the valuable information.
-bub-

Sorry Misterjin, you are incorrect on a number of points.....

Hi-Fi VHS (using FM modualtion) sounds A LOT better than even a high-end cassette deck... the only negative it a tendency to distort transients when they are low in volume (say a hi-hat that is recorded very close to the noise floor)

While the physical tape speed is slower, the head rotates along the tape, making the angular velocity MUCH faster than cassette....

Bubbasmith.... find yourself a decent HIFI VHS machine, preferably one with recording level controls and NO built-in compression or "automatic gain control" (many cheap ones have that) and it will work well.

Bruce

Last edited:
blue bear but is it actully worth it? to bounce to analog then back to digital will it make a noticable diffrence? i think im gonna play with it and see lol this could be interesting

I successfully mastered a CD using a reasonable quality (Sony) VCR with hi-fi sound. It turned out to have a better signal-to-noise than my Tascam two-track, although I suspect that NICAM stereo introduces some artifacts - but it worked for me, and I was happy with the results.

Mine had no recording level indication, so I put it in parallel with my cassette deck and used the meters on that. Then I tried various recording levels until I'd worked out where the distortion point was. I don't know if it's true of all models, but this one had a more "analogue" clipping characteristic rather than the harsh digital cut-off that you might expect.

I did some tests earlier this year using hi fi VCRs to record my band on location and found that new tape stretched after just one pass through the machine.
Bruce,you are an ADAT guy.Ever have tape stretching cause timing or sync problems?

Tom Hicks said:
I did some tests earlier this year using hi fi VCRs to record my band on location and found that new tape stretched after just one pass through the machine.
Bruce,you are an ADAT guy.Ever have tape stretching cause timing or sync problems?
Not that I've ever noticed.... sync problems... a couple of tapes flaked out over time (scratch tapes - get re-used as work tapes...) I just attributed it to shedding.... I suppose stretching could cause the same issue....

Back