Question about the CAD GXL3000 PRO STUDIO MIC

bardo

I am getting the CAD GXL3000 PRO STUDIO MIC that needs phantom power.
Can the Tascam 488Mk II supply that?(I know there is a switch in the back)
Also will the pre-amp in the 488 be able to boast it enought?
Thanks for the help!
Bardo

I am getting the CAD GXL3000 PRO STUDIO MIC that needs phantom power.
Can the Tascam 488Mk II supply that?(I know there is a switch in the back)
Also will the pre-amp in the 488 be able to boast it enought?
Thanks for the help!
Bardo

According to a quick look at the 488 mkII specs, the first two channels have phantom voltage, so yes, the CAD GXL 3000 condenser mic will work with your recorder.

I'm guessing that since the 488 mkII has XLR connectors and phantom voltage on the first two channels, the built-in mic pre will have plenty of gain for the GXL 3000.

As a side note, the GXL 3000 is a pretty decent mic, especially for the price. Some people would call it a sleeper (way better than usual, but still somewhat undiscovered).

Thanks for the help.
Yea I got the mike at Musician friend for a special deal($79)
So you like the mike?
I currently use an SM57 and need all the warmth I can get.
Bardo

With an SM-57 and a GXL-3000, you've got a great start on your home studio. Two good but completely different mics, both sonically and physically.

The GXL-3000 is a large diaphragm condenser, with three (!) patterns. It's VERY sensitive (as are most condenser mics), and it can "hear" people walking around or TVs in other rooms, cars driving by, scratching your whiskers, licking your lips, fiddling with your cloths, fans, air conditioning, furnaces, light bulbs on dimmers, and lots of other things besides your voice and your instruments.

Have fun!

MF currently has them on sale for $100---worth every penny even if they're not at the ridiculously low sale price of a few months ago ($80). I bought a pair so I wouldn't have to lend out my B3 or M179 LDC mics. I lent one of the 3000s to a friend and he's obviously having a good time with it ("Oh, yeah . . .I forgot to bring it", etc., etc.). I guess he got a Christmas present---I just ordered another one.

Paj
8^)

Back