Question about superstars

tilinmyowngrave

I was on the Tama website, and it said that the old Superstars were made from rock maple and birch (http://www.tama.com/history/history_detail.asp?i=23). I also noticed that there was a natural maple finish and a super maple finish. WHats the difference? Does the natural maple finish have a real outer ply of maple? Or are they the same crap? ANd how can I tell if its the natural maple finish or the super maple finish?

Half the set is from 1976-7, the other half is from... I think 1980-82. WHen I look at the edges, some of the plies are lighter than the rest.

natural maple is the light colored natural wood color and being that hese sets are that old they are probably laquered maple plys on he outside, but who knows they are tamas.

tilinmyowngrave said:
I was on the Tama website, and it said that the old Superstars were made from rock maple and birch (http://www.tama.com/history/history_detail.asp?i=23). I also noticed that there was a natural maple finish and a super maple finish. WHats the difference? Does the natural maple finish have a real outer ply of maple? Or are they the same crap? ANd how can I tell if its the natural maple finish or the super maple finish?

I think the Natural maple didn't have as high of a gloss to it. It was more like a handrubbed finish, while the Super maple had a really high gloss to is.

That's just my guess though, because some of the finishes were really shiny, while some were not.

Tim

tilinmyowngrave said:
Would it help if i took pics of the edges? Or the actal drums themselves?

You've lost me. What exactly are you trying to find out?

What the shells are made out of? If so, I thought Superstars were a mixed Birch and Maple shell. (Alternating layers of Birch and Maple) And depending upon what finish you chose - that determined what ply was on the outside.

Tim

Tim Brown said:
You've lost me. What exactly are you trying to find out?

What the shells are made out of? If so, I thought Superstars were a mixed Birch and Maple shell. (Alternating layers of Birch and Maple) And depending upon what finish you chose - that determined what ply was on the outside.

Tim

... i thought they were pure birch... wow, so that explains why I like them so much... I was wondering, because usually I don't like the sound of birch drum sets, yet I really like the sound of this set. It also explaisn why the plys are different colors. Thanks, Tim, you cleared up my question :D !

Back