Question about Studio Walls/ceilings

Bushice

I'm in the planning stages for my Garage studio. One wall will be facing the exterior wall of the garage which is stucco,wood frame, is insulated with standard home fiberglass, with drywall on the inside wall, a second wall faces the thin aluminum garage door, third wall faces the house, which is drywall on two sides, fiberglass in between with wood frame, and the fourth wall is the open area of the garage, with about 15 feet to the other garage wall that will remain open.

So, Do I need 2 - 4 different types of walls? I'm mostly concerned with noise getting out. I want to be able to record drums / guitars and not bug the neighbors.

Finally the ceiling. Above the garage, there is an empty attic with a sloped roofline with 1' to 4' clearance, then a plywood floor, then fiberglass insulation, then drywall. the studio will be below all of that.

I looked at all of the studios at Johns site, but everyone else seems to have a more uniform wall set up than this.

I'm kind of at a loss on how far I should go to ensure I get a sufficient level of soundproofing all around.

BTW, the outside noise that will be coming in is fairly minimal, it's a residential neighborhood where the loudest things are occasional barking dogs and passing local cars.

Thanks for any advice you can give. When I start construction, I plan on taking a lot of pictures so I can share the project with every one!

Bushice

John,

I wonder if you would answer this question for me.

When building my "room within a room" in the garage, should I take into account the existing exterior wall and ceiling and their sound absorption properties, or should I just ignore them and build the room without taking them into account at all?

Thanks a lot,

Bushice

Here it is:

StudioDrawing.jpg

The measurements between the walls and the Proposed studio are approximate. I haven't begun building yet, but I will very soon.

Thanks for your advice.

Bushice

Last edited:
Hey John,

I'm not sure the last link worked very well, I did it the wrong way I guess.

What do you think? Should I take into account the sound absorption properties of the outer walls and the existing ceiling when I build, or just ignore them and make the walls/ceiling of my studio all the same thickness and design?

Here is the link:

Thanks for your advice,
Bushice

Attachments

• studiodrawing.jpg
    studiodrawing.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 40
bushice - I'd build a room within a room design. Your walls are all double layer with insulation inside except the garage door wall. I'd use the reverse wall technique I used in Left Bank Studios

that will allow you to treat the inner walls without loosing anymore floor space.

I'd also add a new ceiling below the existing one. I'd build the controlroom as one box and the studio as another.

cheers
john

Thanks for the info, John, I'll check up on your work at left Bank.

When you say build the control room as one box and the studio as another - you mean just make sure there is a soundproof wall between them, right?

Bushice

Yes - each room has its own frame structure and they don't join at any point. You will end up with a double wall between each room.

cheers
john

Back