Question about recording with 488

Smoove03

Im new to hardware period. I have a 488 8 track, MPC 2000, Kawai KC-20 keyboard, Alto S-8 mixer, guitar, and a computer with Cool Edit Pro.

The genre I mainly work with is hiphop and rap. I have no live band playing into mics. So I have to record every instrument seperately. I was wondering how can I record my mpc, then my bass, then my keys, and so on with the 8 track when it seems like I have to be playin each instrument at the same time.

When you record onto the tape, is it possible to record the drums, then rewind the tape back and record over it with the keys on track 2, then rewind back again and record the guitar and so on? Is that how a multi track works? Or do I need some other piece of equipment to record.

I was thinkin about just recording directly onto my computer (which would be much easier and digital quality), but then that would make my 8-track useless. What do I do? I hope this aint confusing. Thanks for any help I can get!!

Smoove

Yo Smoove+o3: {Sounds like a good name for expensive vodka}

I've had a couple of 488s and you can do some good stuff.

What you need to do is read the OVERDUBBING SECTION of the 488 manual.

I used to do the drum machine and chords -- this will establish your meter. Then, you can add one track at a time, up to 8 of them. [don't bounce too much as you lose control of bounced instruments]

Make sure you put your "recorded" tracks, like the drums and chords, in the CUE MODE. Then, when you add another track and are happy with it, you need to put that track into the CUE MODE as you add another track, etc.

You don't need to worry about how loud/soft the CUE MODE tracks sound in your head set -- they are finished tracks but not yet mixed -- when you decide to mix, say, six tracks -- then you need to set your faders and eq if you need any, and add your reverb.

Then, you can run that stereo two track anywhere you want to run it. Although you are doing analog recording, you WILL get some good stuff from the 488. I've take old tapes and remastered them via my 2816 and got same fine results. Of course, there will be hiss; however, that can be removed. You might even be able to take out the hiss with your Cool Edit program.

Hope this helps you out.

Green Hornet

:D :cool:

it helps out a lot thanks. my boy i work with was just telling me that I should put my finished tracks into cue mode. then ill be hearing them thru my headset and I can start to record the next track.

Gotta few more questions though.

Say I plugged my MPC into track 1. And my keyboard into track 2. After I programmed all my drums and record them onto track 1 on the tape, then cue it. How do I go about recording my keyboard next? Do I rewind the tape to the begining or to where I started on the tape, then record over it with the drums on cue? Im thinking that when I do that, my drums would still be recorded along with my keys over top of it....but on different tracks so later I can adjust the levels and eq to them seperately.

I actually dont have a manual because I bought this thing used. But I usually go online and find manuals. But it sure would be helpful.

I also have an 8-track mixer. But my 488 has an eq and faders on it so i dont need the mixer right? Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Yo Smoove:

Once you record a track or two tracks at once, and you put them into the CUE mode, you have to arm and put an input [1/4 inch cable usually] into another track.

Let's say you have put your drums and chords on two tracks: I almost always put my drums on track 8, chords on any other track. [you have to arm those tracks in the record mode]

Then, when your ready to do a third track, maybe a synth horn solo for part of the song, you arm or engage a "BLANK" track. That TRACK will be the only one recording IF you shut off the other two tracks and put them into the CUE mode.

You can run your CUE volumes as loud as you need or as soft as you need while you add a track.

When you're all done tracking, you then shut off the CUE mode and, if I remember correctly, push in the PLAY button for all tracks and set your faders and add effects, etc.

OH, yeah, after you record a track, you just push the rewind button and wait for the tape to get back to start.

I have a copy of the MKII 488 manual which is about the same for the first 488. If you can't find one, contact me via my E-mail address and I'll have a copy made for minimal costs.

You should be able to find one online but I don't know what the cost would be or if it would be free.

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Green Hornet:D :p :cool:

thank you green. I really appreciate your help. Its working fine and you answered my question perfectly. All i had to do was rewind the tape, cue the tracks Im done wit and record a new one right over them. Its not hard at all. I love the sound of the 488. Except for the hiss when the tracks are turned up high. I also hear noise when all 8 tracks are on at the same time, which im sure can be eliminated later.

My next class will definately have to be on how to punch in at certain parts and what the hell the rehearsal button does. If i learned how to punch in then i would be fine with it. For now...

I was also wondering if its possible to plug the 488 to my computer and transfer the tracks onto the computer so I can play around with them more and ultimately burn them onto a cd as a finished product. Im sure you can. Thanks again

Smoove

Yo Smoove:

I forgot to mention, RUN YOUR TAPE SPEED at the highest FAST setting. I think you just have to turn the dial.

If you run it at the FASTEST setting, you'll get better fidelity.

Have fun.

Green Hornet:cool:

really? aight thanks green. you real helpful. i get a lotta noise sometimes. im not sure if it could be cheap cords im usin' or what.
That noise reduction is tight, but it affects the sound so much. but thanks for the tips.

smoove

Back