Question about promotion

AMSProductions

Ok, I have no creative way of wording this, so here goes;
Facebook artist page, pros and cons?
I currently have no desire to be a part of Facebook as a person, however as a musical entity I am curious about its power to carry my music to a wider audience.
I'm concerned, though, that the "social" outweighs the "network" aspect and I really don't want to become just another in someone's "friend" collection. ("oh, look at all these bands and people on my list, aren't I popular!?!?")
I have no experience with Facebook, so I need someone to either confirm or deny my suspicions that it's a colossal waste of my time to even set the thing up.

It could be either a colossal waste of time or your best marketing tool, depending on how you make use of it.

If you can get a FB band page set up to look OK and use various tools to aggregate your content to it, it could be useful. (e.g. if your site has an app that announces your blog posts or populates the music player or something.)

Facebook also has the advantage that if you've got a friend or fan who you trust, you could make them an admin of your official fan page and let them maintain it for you.

I wouldn't care about the people you mentioned who just collect bands - they are useful.

If you set up an artist/musician page, nobody knows you at the beginning. Someone has to search and find you. As long as you have that artist/musician page, it doesn't count as "friends", it appears in MUSIC section of people who click LIKE button on your page. The more people like your page, the more people can see it and visit it.
If it's done in a good way it can't bring any harm. It's free :)

"Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd".

If your FB page has 3 fans, you look unpopular (and the features available to it are more limited). If you have thousands, then it looks like a cool place to hang out!

Having a FB music page is a huge waste of time unless people know about it, which requires active promotion and there is regularly updated content which requires active participation from the page administrator

Simply having a FB music page will not make people seek you out. You have to spread the word and find stuff to put up there to keep the page relevant

Get on Broadjam dot com. You can link that to your FB is you want. Broadjam will get you some visibility, even if you don't pay for any submissions.

I, well I say I, the Band I'm in, Use facebook as our MAIN reach to the fans and venues, suprisingly, as its very popular especially in this area and since theres 4 of us it keeps fairly busy, I will give you a few tips tho,

*Get as many people as you can straight off the bat,
*Make sure you have as much "eye candy" as possible people love photo's of people, people love video's, link to sound cloud too if you have one,
*Add as many people as you can to you're personal friends list (if you use it i think you said you didn't) and share big links about your band
*Advertise EVERY upcoming gig and do a follow up AFTER every gig, for three reasons,
- Venues see their name on you're page,
- People like to be in the know
- Every post shows up in a news ticker at some stage,
*Start conversations and encourage people to talk to you
*Keep the content rolling, a pic or video is only good for a limited amount of time

Check out our page if you're interested, https://www.facebook.com/boozebrothersmusic

We're far from 1,000,000 fans but the fans we have, a good 50% are solid fans who go to the gigs,

Edit: Yeah, might be handy to take a fan or two on board to help out, we have a wee lass who's studying making pretty pictures in college and I'm not gonna lie she's bloody good at it, she takes photo's for us and designs the posters, and comes to every gig, we throw her a few pints and smokes in return as good will :) she's kinda a member of the band only she doesn't play any instruments, but it wouldn't be the same without her

In my experience, your friends/likes on facebook in no way correlate to how many cds you sell, how many people come to your show, or really anything to do with your band in the real world. It's too easy for some random person to take the half a second to click a like button to simply amuse your request, it does not mean they are a fan or really even care about what your doing

IMO it's a great tool to relay messages and post events for simple awareness, but other than that...it's pretty useless in my eyes. I use it simply because it's a free tool with a large audience, but the majority of my time goes to the more traditional advertising methods of reaching people out in real world.

1ST, you have to have the goods and a track record of producing them. While online marketing is the wave of the future, billboards, bus stop bench adds, flyers, radio time, ball caps, T-shirts, App. displays and the traditional media exploits coupled with a very creative publicist might get you a cup of coffee and a banana today in the music promotion business.

Mind you, I'm not at all cynical nor, am I pesimistic about the music industry. I'm actually a realist. It's over. The music industry with all it's glamour and glitz is over for the most part. If you are no where with your music today, a grassroots aproach is your only alternative to "growing" your business. Be prepared to invest every last dime in yourself/your band on a local level first.

The music icons of the past will remain in the past and the present and future of the business will be unrecognisable in comparison. "Going viral" with your music happens, well, overnight. So if you're not totally prepared for colosal success, you won't recognize it when it looks you in the face.

It's not about the social music networks. They'll do nothing for you. They'll only reflect the good luck and success you're having due to great contacts and, a gifted talent you possess.

Success really does happen over night. But not without a lot of planing, good luck, contacts, doing your homework and foot work ahead of time.

These are different times we're living in. The days of The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson and all the music icons are over. Every music phenonomenon is unique and there's no "silver bullet" or standard formula for success. Especially in the music business.

If you're in the music business as an artist to get wealthy, you picked the wrong profession. But if you can move people's emotions with your music, you picked the right profession.

Back