question about plugging guitar pedal into interface

gene12586

Hi all,

I just tried plugging a looper pedal with a pre-recorded acoustic-electric guitar loop straight into channel 1 of my audio interface. I'm monitoring through my headphones... but strangely the sound mostly only comes through one ear of the headphone and not the other. The sound is barely audible in one ear and normal volume in the other. When I send what's being fed to the interface to the computer and record it using DAW and listen to the recording in the DAW with headphones, the same thing happens; the sound is barely audible in one ear and totally audible in the other.

Why does this happen and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Gene

There should be a mixer application for the interface that will allow you to pan the input to the center of the monitor path.

When you create a track to record to in the daw, you need to create a mono track. That will give you a pan control that will allow you to pan the sound anywhere you want.

What is happening is that, when set in stereo mode, input 1 is the left channel and input 2 is the right channel. Since you are only using input 1, you are only recording signal on the left. Since you have a mono signal, you need to set everything up to deal with the mono signal.

There should be a mixer application for the interface that will allow you to pan the input to the center of the monitor path.

When you create a track to record to in the daw, you need to create a mono track. That will give you a pan control that will allow you to pan the sound anywhere you want.

What is happening is that, when set in stereo mode, input 1 is the left channel and input 2 is the right channel. Since you are only using input 1, you are only recording signal on the left. Since you have a mono signal, you need to set everything up to deal with the mono signal.

Thanks Fairview. I had everything on mono... strangely, turning the interface on and off did the trick.

A follow-up question if you know the answer... My interface is the motu896mk3 hybrid, which has on board effects. Before this I have just been recording my acoustic guitar with two mics plugged into inputs 1 and 2 on the interface. I link the two channels for the two mics into one stereo pair, and also add reverb using the on board effects. So in GarageBand, I set up one track from inputs 1 + 2... and then I was told that to get a separate track recording just the reverb wet signal, I have to set up another audio track in GarageBand for inputs 15 + 16. Now since I just have the looper pedal plugged into input 1 on the interface, I just set up a track in GarageBand getting feed from input 1. If I want to similarly add a wet only reverb track in GarageBand, do I just select input 15 for the track?

Thanks,

Gene

The short answer should be yes. But you still might get a stereo reverb is you turn on both 15 and 16.

"strangely, turning the interface on and off did the trick." Not strange really because it is not something you usually want to do on the fly or by mistake so the interface makes you do a reset.

In Samplitude, if I try to 'mono' the output I get a warning "Do you really want to change this configuration"

Dave.

Back