Question about Pickups

I assume you're talking about humbuckers here. Anyway, the difference is capacitance. The metal cover on a pickup leaches out a little bit of the high end from the pickup (tube shields on amps do the same thing) which can either make your pickups sound duller or mellower, depending on which side of the fence you land on ;) Anyway, a lot of people take the covers off to boost the "presence" of the pickups slightly. YMMV.

I can't tell a thing from humbuckers with covers and not covered. It's all about the look to me. I don't think it changes stuff very much. Lots of guitar players think little changes make a big difference to them on their guitars, but most of it is just smoke and mirrors. But hey, whatever floats your boat. I think uncovered pickups on a Les Paul or SG look like Crap, so I always have covered ones.

H2H

I used to get feedback problems if I left the covers on, so I took them off. I'm sure that it changed the sound, but not enough to cripple you.

Hard2Hear said:
I can't tell a thing from humbuckers with covers and not covered. It's all about the look to me. I don't think it changes stuff very much. Lots of guitar players think little changes make a big difference to them on their guitars, but most of it is just smoke and mirrors. But hey, whatever floats your boat. I think uncovered pickups on a Les Paul or SG look like Crap, so I always have covered ones.

H2H

That's about right. There may be a measurable change, but there is no noticable difference.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back