Question about PA setup

BobOC

I do a few live gigs per year with a bluegrass combo. I have a Yamaha MG 16/4 non-powered mixer...I plug all the mics into this mixer, panning everything dead center, and use the insert outs to go into my Akai DPS16 recorder. So far, so good.

I also have a Yamaha EMX66M Powered Mixer. I take one of the main outs of the MG 16/4 and plug it into Channel One of the EMX66M, and then out to the Peavey PR-15 speakers. I only use one "out" on the MG 16/4 because the EMX66M is a mono mixer.

My question...should I be pushing the Channel One Pad switch on the EMX66M to "on"? I've been having some problems with distorted sound coming out of the speakers....I have not been engaging the pad switch, but I was reading the manuals tonight, and now I'm confused.

Another way to phrase the question: is the main output of the MG 16/4 at line level? If so, should the pad switch on the EMX66M be engaged?

Thanks...Bob.

That would be the first thing I would do, after making sure my gain structure was correct, and I wasn't juicing the mixer input with a really hot signal. If it has a jack marked "Power amp input" that would be another thing to try, that would also let you skip the whole front end of the powered mixer, if you don't need anything it provides.

Back