Question about outboard gear

xparkerx

I am looking to start buying some out board effects like reverb maybe a mutli fx unit etc. My current setup is:

tascam fw-1884
mackie big knob
nuendo 2.0
Event monitors

plus mic's head phones etc.

My real question is i don't understand where in the chain these get run. I've been using the plugins from nuendo which are alright, i like the way i can record a track "clean" if you will and then plug an effect in an insert while it's playing and mess around until i find what i'm looking for. Is this Achievable with outboard gear?

Do I have to buy a patch bay not that i really even know what they are used for.

If anyone could shed some light on these subjects that would be wonderful.

thanks much.

jay.

Looks like you could use insert cables on the tascam inputs (patch bay not needed there) to patch in line level compressors, eq, or effects. But it may be just as effective and cheaper if you're just getting up to speed on recording techniques to stay with software plugs to do the same.
'Kind of depends on how you want to get there. :D
Wayne

fair enough.

but i really don't like the reverb i'm getting. I'd like to buy a nice reverb box. Lets say i run it on a channels inserts. for vocals or whatever. i guess what i'm asking is, unless i run it in the front end which will just put effects on my track never to be removed. what is the protocal for listening to the effects on my track and then keeping them. I assume i'll have to send it out find something i like and then re-record it on a different track? that's where i'm foggy.

jay.

You can use the outboard reverb just like in a normal maner; set up an effects aux send bus in the program, with the main send routed to a pair of your tascam's D/A outputs. This goes to the verb's in's, verb out's go to a pair of the tascam's A/D's. The verb returns to the pogram as a new dedicated pair of tracks that become your reverb return back to the mix. If you have 'live input monitoring, you can mix and adjust the verb as you go, then at some point record the verb return' (and/or add multiple uses of the effects box on to other 'new verb' tracks) and they become included and saved as part of you project.
There is a help page at cakwalk that shows the setup that might be helpfull, don't know about the N' prog though..
Hope that helps.:D
Wayne

Back