Question about monitoring chain?

Zeppelin456

Banana Co
Questions about MOTU!

First of all, I was wondering how to record 8 seperate tracks at a time in Cool Edit 2.0. The MOTU can do 8 at a time but how do I arm the tracks correctly? I'm having no trouble recording but i can only do left and right, not 1-8.

Also, the motu I have is a MOTU 896 (one of the old ones, not the HD) that I just got and now I'm ready to buy monitors. My question doesn't pertain to which ones I should get, but more how the motu works. Am I mastering directly out of the box or do I have to go through the computer and back into the MOTU? As you can see I'm a bit confused, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I've only used CE for effects from time to time. I know it will multitrack but dont know id multiple chls. at once. Trying arming multiple tracks.
Youre not mastering your multitracking...mastering comes at the end of a mixed track of the final.
youre transfering audio to your HD in your PC.

Re: Questions about MOTU!

Zeppelin456 said:
First of all, I was wondering how to record 8 seperate tracks at a time in Cool Edit 2.0. The MOTU can do 8 at a time but how do I arm the tracks correctly? I'm having no trouble recording but i can only do left and right, not 1-8.

Ever think of reading the manual? I bet the answer is in there:rolleyes:

Stealthtech said:
I've only used CE for effects from time to time. I know it will multitrack but dont know id multiple chls. at once. Trying arming multiple tracks.
Youre not mastering your multitracking...mastering comes at the end of a mixed track of the final.
youre transfering audio to your HD in your PC.

I know, my original post was just about hooking up monitors, then I came up with a new question and didn't want to start a new post about it so I put that in under the same title....thasnk for the help though.

Back