Question About Mixing: Filters and Shelves

Help Help

Hey friends. First off, I just wanna say how much I appreciate all the kind and helpful folks on this website. I'm a bit new to mixing on digital, I'm getting the hang of things, but I have a concern about how to properly use high/low pass filters and shelves. In particular, where people talk about using a low shelf or high pass filter and cut below, say, 100hz, I imagine the eq curve beginning it's decline at 100hz. However, if you set the eq with a low shelf or high pass filter at 100hz numerically, it is beginning it's decline well before 100hz, at 200hz or more. I realize this may be a stupid question, but it would help me out of some confusion if someone could explain this to me. As I am mixing in an untreated room with small monitors I like to have perspective on everything I do to help as a guide where more precision may be wanted. As a rule, I am mainly interested in a basic mixing approach, and I don't like to eq where it is not really necessary, as the last thing I would want to do is over-mix or do too much where it serves to suck out perfectly worthy parts of individual sounds(just what I am interested in). But the second last thing I wouldn't want to do is mix too little ha. An answer to the above question would help me a lot, as I feel fairly comfortable with parametric eqs, but unsure of myself with how to most effectively use filters and shelves. In the middle of mixing fever so thanks so much for any advice!

Back