Question about matching -10dB mixer with +4dB recorder.

Stefan Elmblad

I’m was about to buy an Alesis HD24 when I discovered that it ins and outputs have +4dB and is not switchable to -10dB.
My recording console, a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8, has the direct out and tape returns rated at -10dB.

How much problem would I have to get a hot enough signal on “tape” ? And if I give it a full blast, and succeed in given the recorder a hot enough signal, surely the signal would distort whn returning to the -10dB tape returns ?

Is it possible for the recorder and the console to have their -10dB/+4dB specs calibrated against a different 0dB and therefore be closer in level than it would seem ?

I would very much appreciate you opinions and suggestions.

Also, any comment from people with an Alesis HD24 and a -10dB console would be superb. Tell me how and if it works.

Yours sincerely
/Stefan

Are you sure tape returns are only -10? It really doesn't make sense to design a console that way...

I know the Topaz units had internal switching between -10/+4 for the tape INs/OUTs....

And there'd be no rationale for putting direct outs at -10 when everything else isn't!

The direct out and tape return are -10 by default. The master out is +4, and the subgroups and inserts I believe (don't have the manual with me right now) is 0dB, as a compromise sort of thing.

The channel can be changed internally, but not switched. There are 8 soldering points per channel to change the direct outs and tape returns, which makes it 192 soldering points for me to prepare the console for a +4dB recorder. Which sucks.

Or you can simply hire a tech to do it for you -- I've done that a few times, too...!

About $40/hr around here, but they work much faster with an iron than I ever could!

I feel your pain. I had to go into the chest cavity of my console (a StudioMaster) to change over to +4 operation (actually, pretty much the entire studio) when I picked up an HD24.

How do you feel about the HD24 then ? Tell me you absolutely love it, and that the soldering shit is totally worth it. Please.

I couldn't be happier with it. I have a GenX6 clocking it and it sounds glorious. When I first got it, I tried to imidiately incorporate it into my system, replacing my ADATs which were operating at -10 unbalanced. There was audible distortion in the recordings. I worked my ass off for over a week balancing the entire system (except for the inserts which won't balance) and it was an immediate difference. It's mo betta.

So I'm curious why someone would buy this one over the Mackie. Is it just the price (this one's cheaper, right?)?

I know the Mackie has a monitor hook up I think, so you can see the waveforms and use a mouse to edit and stuff, and I thought that was really helpful. Just curious if this has that type of option, or is that what the ethernet cable is for (to dump to the computer, do work on there and then bring it back), and if so then why not just use a computer based DAW? I guess it's mostly because of the stability?

I'm just looking for the pros of using this over computer recording.

Cause the Alesis has better harddrive support and together with new PC + software still costs less than the Mackie with waveform shit. And the advantage of using familiar software as wavelab etc.

Also the Alesis allows for backup between its 2 drives without computer involved. And another 20 reasons....

But, others may feel differently and choose the mackie. That is fine too, of course. Mackie does have 192 virtual tracks, so its got its plusses too.

For me, the Alesis is the choice.

Back