Question about levels hitting plugins

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was watching one of Kenny's videos on Normalizing Audio Files. One thing he mentioned was when using hardware emulating plugins which are designed to see a specific volume, usually about -18dB, you don't want to normalize all your files. He says you can still do it, but make sure you reduce the levels to make sure you're hitting those plugins at the volume(s) they prefer.

If I'm using such plugins, how do I know what volume(s) these plugins prefer? Is it a standard level for each type of processor? All the same at -18dB?

It's "about" -18 dBFS because most converters translate 0 dBVU (edited to correct dBu to dBVU) to -18 dBFS. In some cases converters might use -16 or -20, but it's generally going to be right around there. Ultimately you have to decide what's right for you by listening anyway.

Last edited:
Looking around some more, I found these :

Distortion has nothing to do with average levels. All that matters is the peaks. Turn the knobs til it sounds good.

I think the real question is "why normalize the tracks in the first place?"

Assuming you are the one recording them, just record them at the proper levels and the plug-ins will simply work properly.

…just record them at the proper levels and the plug-ins will simply work properly.
IF the plugin’s nominal level is calibrated the same as your ADC, then you’d figure proper gain staging in the actual analog realm would translate directly to the emulated analog world. ADCs are not standardized, though, and neither are plugins actually, so it’s a bit of a crap shoot.

I can’t imagine why one would use a plugin that distorts if they didn’t intend to use that distortion to some extent. The way to find the right amount of distortion is to listen to the damn thing while adjusting the gain. If it’s too much, turn it down. If it’s not enough, turn it up.

Back